• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This site uses cookies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This site uses cookies

Anyone else getting pissed off with having to click some button at the top of the page when they first visit a website?

"This site uses cookies.. blah blah blah... click OK to continue"
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Yeah, a real PITA. Especially if your browser routinely deletes all your cookies and the website is constantly telling you it's going to set new ones.

There should be a IDGAF setting so you can let them set cookies if they want to.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Yep. The Register is noteworthy for this, and when you click on the "Yup-I-know" button it chucks you back to the home page.

Which is sad for a website which purports to be about IT.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        Yeah, a real PITA. Especially if your browser routinely deletes all your cookies and the website is constantly telling you it's going to set new ones.

There should be a IDGAF setting so you can let them set cookies if they want to.
        There usually is. But you need cookies enabled for it to work

Comment

The big brother government thought it should protect its naive netizens and came up with this crap. Its bloody annoying.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I was getting annoyed with Sybase's website last night.

Check a box then click Continue. But when you navigate to another page it re-displays the message at the top.

So what has all this achieved? The moaning 0.1% of the population are happy that they are now warned about the evil use of cookies which could bring an end to life as we know it.

And the remaining 99.9% get pissed off, stressed out, and go out on killing rampages
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              The big brother government EU thought it should protect its naive netizens and came up with this crap. Its bloody annoying.
              FTFY - would have been a lot harsher if we went with the full-blown proposed version. Another good reason to can the EU Membership!

Comment

I thought the EU backtracked the cookie law?

GE

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                  Anyone else getting pissed off with having to click some button at the top of the page when they first visit a website?

Yes. I usually make a point of hiding said element using Adblock's Element Hiding Helper, rather than encouraging bad design by playing along.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    The big brother government thought it should protect its naive netizens and came up with this crap. Its bloody annoying.
                    Agreed. If anything, it'd have been far more effective if they'd just required web sites to maintain a page showing which cookies they were using, and who else they were shared with. And that, as a key feature, would have allowed you to easily switch cookies off for the site in question. But that would have been far too sensible.

There's probably some Firefox add-on to achieve a similar effect, but I just blacklist sites that I know to abuse cookies (mainly Google-affiliated sites) in the browser settings itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X