• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FTTC - BT or Sky?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTTC - BT or Sky?

Hoorah! FTTC has finally arrived at my cabinet and orders are now being accepted. After all the tulipe I've had to put up with from ISP's and BT's tulipe copper infrastructure, dropped connections, slow speeds, noise of telephone line etc etc and their excuses.

Despite numerous complaints and incidents raised, they always say they cannot find any faults etc and tell me to change filters, telephone, router, extension wiring, sky boxes, face plates and, I should try using the NTE 5 test socket. Erm, Im plugged directly into the test socket with none of the above and still have issues you dullards.

I even had a 'special' Openreach engineer round who found several 'issues' on the BT side of the NTE 5 and BT still tried to charge me £200! Complained to the ISP who queried it with BT and the charge was quietly dropped.

Enough is enough and switching to FTTC should hopefully resolve most of the issues if not all and have the benefit of delivering faster speeds than sub 7 meg I get now.

Curiously, BT say I should expect a download speed of 51+ meg on their FTTC whereas Sky state 40. Both are uncapped useage, both offer free wifi hotspots.

I was going to upgrade sky tv package at the same time via top cashback and get a nice little earner but Sky ****ed up and I had to cancel it.

So, I guess its the choice of BT or Sky FTTC only. The only real difference I can see is BT want an 18 month contract whereas Sky want 12 but insist all tv boxes are plugged into the phone line for the duration.

Anyone got experience of either, good, bad, did it meet your expectations?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I have BT and it's A1 rock solid. I had Be before and we were fussy....

Only thing is P2P is throttled - solved with Seedbox.

Otherwise all cock-on!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      I have BT and it's A1 rock solid. I had Be before and we were fussy....

Only thing is P2P is throttled - solved with Seedbox.

Otherwise all cock-on!!
      Cheers. Not into P2P so wouldnt be an issue. Im currently with Be through a reseller. Weird how the service becomes unstable over the weekend!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Cheers. Not into P2P so wouldnt be an issue. Im currently with Be through a reseller. Weird how the service becomes unstable over the weekend!
        I'm with Sky Fibre. It uses the same infrastructure as BT Infinity so technically nothing should be any different. Sky don't throttle at all and usage is truly unlimited. I also plugged my Sky+HD box into the Sky router to get Sky Anytime+ (VOD) but Sky have opened this up to all ISPs now.
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
          I'm with Sky Fibre. It uses the same infrastructure as BT Infinity so technically nothing should be any different. Sky don't throttle at all and usage is truly unlimited. I also plugged my Sky+HD box into the Sky router to get Sky Anytime+ (VOD) but Sky have opened this up to all ISPs now.
          Was gonna go Sky too but at the time they only gave 2mbit upload I think it was? Something like 19 on BT at the moment, 65 down.

Anytime is now renamed On Demand - u might know but a EPG update will show lots of extra goodies including ITV Player, C5 thing and iPlayer (starts tmrw!)

Unplugging the power and reapplying with back-up button held down will force it but if you have an early box you might not get it - some of the early Thomsons can't have it...

Comment

I know your pain, I had a crap ADSL connection for years until a BT engineer (3rd or 4th visit) could be bothered to actually trace the intermittent fault, it was a dry joint on the aluminium wire two poles down from me.

We're supposed to be getting fibre by the end of the year but I think I'll be going with BT as apparently Sky are about 6 months behind BT when it comes to installing there own equipment in fibre enabled exchanges. I can always swap to Sky at the end of the BT contract.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Plusnet and Zen also do FTTC. Last time I looked Zen have cut their prices to be more in line with everybody else as they were pricing it as a premium business service.

I'm just put off the 18 month contract. But of course now I wish I'd signed up 12 months ago when I could have done.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Sky cheats with ADSL, ****s, so BT all the way

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Was gonna go Sky too but at the time they only gave 2mbit upload I think it was? Something like 19 on BT at the moment, 65 down.

Anytime is now renamed On Demand - u might know but a EPG update will show lots of extra goodies including ITV Player, C5 thing and iPlayer (starts tmrw!)

Unplugging the power and reapplying with back-up button held down will force it but if you have an early box you might not get it - some of the early Thomsons can't have it...
                  I get 38 down and 8 up. There is a Sky Fibre Pro option that will give you the 'upto 80 down and 20 up' you can get with BT Infinity.

The updated EPG is slowly being rolled out to different boxes...mine quite old but not a Thomson so keeping an eye out for it.
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Working...
                  X