• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8

Has anyone downloaded it from Technet yet? If so, have you tried it yet? If so, what's it like?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Has anyone downloaded it from Technet yet? If so, have you tried it yet? If so, what's it like?
    It follows the current Microsoft trend of forcing you to learn new ways of doing the stuff you've been doing for the last 15 years with no benefit. Someone thought that making all OSs look like a mobile phone would be a winner.

It starts quick though.

Comment

Windows 8

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      It follows the current Microsoft trend of forcing you to learn new ways of doing the stuff you've been doing for the last 15 years with no benefit. Someone thought that making all OSs look like a mobile phone would be a winner.

It starts quick though.
      So I should be ok then. I wonder when they will go back to the Windows 3.x layout?
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        So I should be ok then. I wonder when they will go back to the Windows 3.x layout?
        WHS

I'd only just got used to the taskbar way of doing things and then they go and change it all again
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Windows 8

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          WHS

I'd only just got used to the taskbar way of doing things and then they go and change it all again
          The pre-upgrade checks says my AV is incompatible... Need to do some more research before the upgrade.
          Last edited by pmeswani; 21 October 2012, 20:00.

Comment

Not dabbled yet but this is because I have heard nothing good about it. Just bought a new laptop so that I don't get a Win8 one foisted upon me as sounds like they are out in a couple of weeks... Let us know how you get on with it. Any reason for the upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              Not dabbled yet but this is because I have heard nothing good about it. Just bought a new laptop so that I don't get a Win8 one foisted upon me as sounds like they are out in a couple of weeks... Let us know how you get on with it. Any reason for the upgrade?
              No real reason other than the urge to upgrade. I tend to take on new OS's when they come out. I took on Vista when it came out, and didn't have the same problems as those reports on the web. Yes, the interface was tulip, but it worked. Windows 8 may be the next Vista, but I hope that I don't have any problems.

Comment

Been using it for a couple of months and to be honest can't see what all the bad press is about. Even Office 2013 kicks you into desktop mode, which looks just like Win7 minus the Start button.

Comment

Will be rebuilding my Vista Dell 9200 desktop PC as soon as I can download W8.

Have got a couple of nice new SSD's to put in it so I can benefit from a speed up and / or go back to Vista when it all goes PeteTong.

That should give me a W8 desktop with a couple of W7 laptops and keep me going for a few years.

Nothing wrong with the Vista installation - just time for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

It starts quick though.
                    Well the trend is towards tablets and touch screen, how else can they bridge that gap?

A sofa tablet that has seamless access to my PC and laptop is quite appealing to me.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X