• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spam email, can using an email address get you targeted?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spam email, can using an email address get you targeted?

I have as one of my email addresses <my first name>@<my surname>.com. However I had been getting tons of spam to that address, probably because I was naive in the distant past and allowed it to show online. So eventually I gave up using it.

But a couple of months ago I noticed that the spam had gone down to a couple a day, none on some days, and my mail client's spam filter was identifying them as spam. So I decided to start using the email address again.

Lo and behold, I'm suddenly up about 100 spam per day on this account. Is this just coincidence, or is it possible that simply using the email address (only with friends and family) stuck my head above the parapet in some way?

(note: I also started a contract in NL, and did send a few emails to myself from the .nl work address. Now for the first time ever I also get some spam in Dutch. Am I being watched?)
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Who hosts the mail server the email address is on?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Who hosts the mail server the email address is on?
      hostroute.co.uk
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
      X