• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speakers with optical input

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speakers with optical input

I want to get a cheap speaker system to hook up to my PS3. Do any of you lot know of a good budget system that has an optical input?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    I want to get a cheap speaker system to hook up to my PS3. Do any of you lot know of a good budget system that has an optical input?
    I use an Onkyo surround sound system, for my PS3, TV and to double as a hifi system (Although I turn off surround sound processing for CDs)

They do a budget 5.1 system with speakers, that later on can be upgraded to 7.1, with extra speakers and a pre amp (just get a 2nd one on ebay later)
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

What do you mean by budget?

I have Logitech Z5500 on my PC and Z906 on my PS3 in the lounge. Great surround and subwoofer, and with optical input.

Around £300 I think, so may not be "budget" in your view.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

All I want it for is for when the Rocksmith game gets released on the PS3. If you connect to your TV by HDMI there is supposed to be a lag between hitting the guitar strings and the sound being played. This is supposed to not be the case for sound going down the optical route. So as cheap as possible really!!

Rocksmith is guitar hero with a real guitar and its supposed to teach you how to play.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

All I want it for is for when the Rocksmith game gets released on the PS3. If you connect to your TV by HDMI there is supposed to be a lag between hitting the guitar strings and the sound being played. This is supposed to not be the case for sound going down the optical route. So as cheap as possible really!!

Rocksmith is guitar hero with a real guitar and its supposed to teach you how to play.
          I'd be surprised if there was a noticeable delay due to HDMI but surely if there is, then avoiding that by connecting speakers directly to the PS3 would mean the audio and video are out of sync? I would have the thought the biggest delay would be in the PS3 when it's simulating the amp and effects.

Comment

Check Richer Sounds -

Hi - suggest you check out somebody like Richer Sounds - obviously depending upon how much you want to spend - either Home-Cinema-In-A-Box solution, through to a full set of Separates (receiver/Amp + Speakers)

I've got an older Sony system (HT-IS100) Speakers are no bigger than golf balls (apart from the SUB) It's has enough interconnects for PS3/Apple TV/Wii, and also does HDMI switching.

This got the SHMBO approval based upon speaker size ......

regards,

seyre1972

Comment

If you want something really cheap try Asda or Argos. I had a cheap system to begin with and have since upgraded. I think I paid about £60 for a Pacific (own branded) in Asda 12 years ago. It was then moved out to the back room for my son to use for gaming. Or look on ebay - there is usually at least one for 99p and local pickup that nobody wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                I'd be surprised if there was a noticeable delay due to HDMI but surely if there is, then avoiding that by connecting speakers directly to the PS3 would mean the audio and video are out of sync? I would have the thought the biggest delay would be in the PS3 when it's simulating the amp and effects.
                The delay is due to the video processing within the TV. The audio is usually delayed by the same amount so that it remains in sync with the pictures. This can often be a couple of frames of video or more i.e. into the 100s of ms. External AV amps will have a delay setting to achieve the same end.

If you are trying to play an instrument virtually then depending on the instrument even 10ms latency between action and sound can be enough to put you off although some people are more sensitive than others. This is why computer based musos tend to use expensive soundcards that support very low latencies.

The audio processing in the PS3 should be around the 10-20ms ballpark, it will be filling a buffer of (say) 512 samples at a time, which at CD sampling rates is ~11ms. To a guitarist that will be roughly the same as playing a guitar with the amp 11 feet away, so shouldn't be too offputting.
                Last edited by doodab; 11 August 2012, 19:33.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                X