• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wifi Antennas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extend it with another AP and a pair of homeplugs

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Do these things actually make a difference?

The modem/router has an internal antenna and I am struggling to get a signal in the furthest corners of the south and west wings so considering getting some kind of extra antenna to screw into the back.

The antenna might look as if it will make a difference but with the same total power output from the device will it really matter?
      Cut up an empty coke can cut the top of from one end then feather it (cut it into strip) at the bottom end make a hole and then pass the router antenna through it and fan out the strips.. and you have a DIY extra antenna which should boost signal strength.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        The antenna might look as if it will make a difference but with the same total power output from the device will it really matter?
        While the antenna may in theory have more gain, what this really means is that the signal is focused more in a single plane, which may or may not help depending upon the situation.

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        I brought one. Arial is about 8" compared to 2-3 on router, made no obvious difference. However, it does have about 8' of lead so if I could get it closer without drilling a hole in the wall that might help.
        With 8' of cable the additional cable loss is probably enough to cancel out the increased gain of the antenna element, but at least you get to position it optimally.

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
        Cut up an empty coke can cut the top of from one end then feather it (cut it into strip) at the bottom end make a hole and then pass the router antenna through it and fan out the strips.. and you have a DIY extra antenna which should boost signal strength.
        Or one of these... about 15 mins construction time and fun too. Worked for me although only saw an extra +5dB (about half what is claimed) :

Ez-10 Corner Reflector Template
        Ez-12

It does however assume that the areas of weak signal are all in one direction, which might not be the case if the router is sited in the centre of the house.
        Last edited by Contreras; 9 August 2012, 07:14.

Comment

Working...
        X