• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear LazyWeb.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear LazyWeb.....

I have a folder on my MacBook Pro that I would like regularly backed up to another folder on the same machine, whats the easiest way to do this, on windows I know I can just create a scheduled task to run a simple script, whats the equivalent on a Mac? Automator looks a bit more workflowy for what I need
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

You can use cron to do regular jobs but the recommended Apple way is to use launchd. A couple of utilities exist to help you create the plist files used by launchd:

Lingon open sauce version - free but no more development
    Lingon 3 - a whole $3 from the App Store

I was happy with the first one to get me going. I now roll my own.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

One word..

rsync

Comment

And there's a GUI wrapper for rsync which includes scheduling.

Backuplist+ Make sure you pick the download suitable for your version of OS X from that page.

Because Apple can lag with various bits of CLI software, Backuplist+ contains an up to date version of of rsync, compiled with suitable options for the job in hand..
        Last edited by Sysman; 1 August 2012, 15:32.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          One word..

rsync
          I know to use rsync do to the actual copying, I am just unsure how to schedule it, was hoping that I could just CRON something but will take a look at Lingon
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

scheduling an automator workflow -

How to Run an Automator Workflow to a Schedule

Comment

Working...
            X