• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Java for Dummies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java for Dummies

Despite my advice, my 15 yr old son wants to get into coding, and he has entered the Yound Rewired State coding camp thingy. He is teaching himself Javascript and Java and I was wondering what good
    books and online resources there are available, me being a Java virgin.

He is a novice, but has excellent mathematical and analytical skills, I'd like something that took him from 'Hello World' up to the basics of OOP .....

Any recommends, avoids?
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

The java tutorial on the oracle sun website is a good start.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Head First books are good.

Mine is currently propping up a monitor, but it was good for it's original purpose too...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Hi

The Sams series, Teach Yourself in 21 days or even the 24 hours ones are normally a good starting point. In some of them, you can work on an application or sample project.

Books by Bruce Eckel like Thinking in Java are great. He's an excellent writer.
        I can also reccommend the Head First series by Kathy Sierra.

If your son really gets into java, he might want to take a look at some java based open source frameworks. The Manning Press have some nice ones.

The W3schools.com have some nice tutorials on javascript and website programming.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          Despite my advice, my 15 yr old son wants to get into coding
          You must do something, he can't remain virgin forever.
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by sunflower View Post
            The Sams series, Teach Yourself in 21 days or even the 24 hours ones are normally a good starting point. In some of them, you can work on an application or sample project.
            +1

I have recently did the Sams book in 21 days, very good as a starter (having lots of years experience in some other language, and knowing practically nothing about Java).
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
            X