• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you pay for beta access to code?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you pay for beta access to code?!

BBC News - Apple fights websites selling access to iOS6 beta code

Apple is cracking down on websites that sell access to pre-release, beta versions of its iOS6 iPhone and iPad software.

Beta software is incomplete, and Apple only makes it available to software developers for testing purposes.

The websites charge about $10 (£6.45) to register an individual device so that it can run iOS6 beta software.
    At that price I would be willing to give it a go
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    BBC News - Apple fights websites selling access to iOS6 beta code

At that price I would be willing to give it a go
    You can sign up for a dev account for free (I have one).

IIRC, you can get your own copy for nowt - if you have a Mac to install x-code.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      You can sign up for a dev account for free (I have one).

IIRC, you can get your own copy for nowt - if you have a Mac to install x-code.
      Has that changed then? I looked at the iOS developer programme a couple or more years back and you needed to fork out $99 to join.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Has that changed then? I looked at the iOS developer programme a couple or more years back and you needed to fork out $99 to join.
        I have a free account & I have the ios4.3 sdk in my Xcode, obviously I haven't looked at it in a while...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I have a free account & I have the ios4.3 sdk in my Xcode, obviously I haven't looked at it in a while...
          You need to be part of the Devloper Program ($99/year) to be able to get beta code onto actual devices, I think you can only run things in a emulator on the free account
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            You need to be part of the Devloper Program ($99/year) to be able to get beta code onto actual devices, I think you can only run things in a emulator on the free account
            Aha.

Comment

I thought Siri was still in beta? Doesn't seem to have stopped Apple from charging for the 4S.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I thought Siri was still in beta? Doesn't seem to have stopped Apple from charging for the 4S.

I'm not sure I would pay for the "illegal" access - if they revoke the developer certificate after you flash a beta, is it possible to restore a non-beta version? I'm not sure as iOS is a PITA for moving back to older firmwares.

I'm looking forward to iOS 6 (although technically loads of stuff won't work on my now apparently ancient iPhone 4) but that's cos I like having new stuff - which will probably lead me to buying the new iPhone when it surfaces

Comment

Working...
                X