• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mobile friendly website templates: recommendation needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mobile friendly website templates: recommendation needed

As I approach the end of my current 1.5 yr stint with an employer, I need to revamp my ltd co website. I know how mobile devices like smart phones and tablets are rampaging ahead in market share for web browsing, so I want to use a mobile friendly template.

Or maybe two versions of my website with sniffer code that serves the correct one if it detects that the user's got an iPhone, or whatever. Depending on how much hassle this is.

I've googled the subject and there's an absolute shed load of co's offering them. Has anyone used a free, or bought a low cost off the peg, mobile template (HTML+CSS pref) that's worked well and is willing to recommend the vendors?
    Last edited by Pete Marsh; 9 July 2012, 15:47.

Originally posted by Pete Marsh View Post
    As I approach the end of my current 1.5 yr stint with an employer, I need to revamp my ltd co website. I know how mobile devices like smart phones and tablets are rampaging ahead in market share for web browsing, so I want to use a mobile friendly template.

Or maybe two versions of my website with sniffer code that serves the correct one if it detects that the user's got an iPhone, or whatever. Depending on how much hassle this is.

I've googled the subject and there's an absolute shed load of co's offering them. Has anyone used a free, or bought a low cost off the peg, mobile template (HTML+CSS pref) that's worked well and is willing to recommend the vendors?
    Google "responsive design".

10 Beautiful Examples of Responsive Web Design

The basic idea is that the page will be rendered depending on the screen size of the device it is being read on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
      Google "responsive design".

10 Beautiful Examples of Responsive Web Design

The basic idea is that the page will be rendered depending on the screen size of the device it is being read on.
      Thanks, but I'm aware of the principles of responsive design (among other things I've designed UIs for elearning and mlearning lessons).

What I'm really after is a simple to implement and maintain mobile template for my business website.

I've had a look at WordPress (my hosting package does a free WP install) and there seem to be some good mobile themes there for $30 or less + free device detection plugins - although I'd rather pay nowt if I can manage it! I'm a bit dubious about WP seeming to require constant plugin updates etc. though.

Comment

Working...
      X