• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VPN where free public wifi has a intro screen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN where free public wifi has a intro screen

Just in case someone else has had this issue and sorted it -
    For current gig I have Check Point EndPoint Security VPN and its 'appy bunny with 'vanilla' internet connections in hotel, at home etc.

However, when I try to use the kind that have a 'welcome screen/type some crap in' front end it goes all swirly circle on me and eventually gives up. No error message (or log file as far as I can see).

I told IT support and they just shrugged and said its working - very helpful.

So any ideas folks or should I just forget about it? Its normally only a couple of hours a month. But if (when) a plane is delayed I could be missing out on hours of connectivity and potentially a day's fee gone for a burton.

Ta

PS I hope this post doesn't annoy anyone. Every time I start a thread it seems to annoy someone, however uncontroversial

While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Last time I used Check Point, there were options (at the initial vPN start screen) for Home WiFi or Hotel WiFi.

If the provider had a login page, you had to choose the 'Hotel' option as it opened the login page in it's own browser.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Its possible to deny remote users vpn access to any wifi point using a forwarding page like this.
        Potentially its blocked by your companies security policy and the 1st/2nd line person you spoke to isnt aware as it was probably setup by a 3rd line guy years ago and then forgotten about?

Might be worth asking if anyone else in your company can connect to wifi with these pages? If no one else can then the most likely cause is that its blocked by your companies security policy.

Comment

All OK now

Well it seems you need to try to start browsing the 'normal' internet and then as soon as you do that you get redirected to Sure's page where you accept their T's & C's
          Then VPN will work.

Looks like they assumed most passengers would just be surfing or using Webmail or at least not try to immediately VPN.

Not sure why support did not know this. They may not travel for work but their 'customers' do. Hey ho.

Thanks for replies as always.

Comment

Working...
          X