• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile phone sync with Outlook on local PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile phone sync with Outlook on local PC

I am looking for a new smartphone that will allow me to sync with the contacts and diary in Outlook on a local PC when connected by cable (ie NOT via an Exchange server).

My current over 2 year old HTC HD2 (WM 6.5) does this but it looks like all of the newer phones require either an exchange server (cost), or access via hotmail or gmail (data security) which I don't want.

I also need get my email from an IMAP server, browse the net, take reasonable photos, have a quality sat nav available, and have the option to listen to music (preferably micro-SD support).

Does anyone know of anything that will work?
    Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 21 June 2012, 13:22.

Why are you against using gmail? I use Google Calendr Sync, its a little plug in on your local machine which syncs with your google account calendar which you can then sync with your smart phone OTA
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
      I am looking for a new smartphone that will allow me to sync with the contacts and diary in Outlook on a local PC when connected by cable (ie NOT via an Exchange server).

My current over 2 year old HTC HD2 (WM 6.5) does this but it looks like all of the newer phones require either an exchange server (cost), or access via hotmail or gmail (data security) which I don't want.

I also need get my email from an IMAP server, browse the net, take reasonable photos, have a quality sat nav available, and have the option to listen to music (preferably micro-SD support).

Does anyone know of anything that will work?
      Samsung Kies software syncs with outlook. So any (recent?) Samsumg (Android) will do all the above.

Pretty sure there are apps for Android which will sync with outlook via usb.

I just got a galaxy note last week, quite like it so far. Lovely big screen.
      Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

I am not happy about my data passing through the cloud, call me old fashioned, just worried about data security.

Thanks for the heads up with Samsung, searching Kies also brought up this article:

How To: Sync Android With Microsoft Outlook | PCMag.com

Which allowed me to discover that it seems HTC may also have a solution:

HTC Sync

so it seems there are options on Android

Comment

Was going to say, my HTC phones allow the option for you to sync to Outlook via cable on you PC /MAC. It doesnt need Exchange, you just select the option as required. Can also sync individual data folders too, which has it use.
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
          X