• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiple Subnets on the same machine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Subnets on the same machine

Arrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Ok now thats out of the way, trying to mock up a series of production systems I have for a SysTest using virtual servers. Production has all the hardware thrown at it including proper load balances and firewalls etc. The SysTest is trying to be as live like as possible, so using Windows Network Load Balancing Manager. I have configured each VM to have two NIC's, one on a management subnet and one on an application subnet which is where the NLB's are configured.

Is there a way that I can get the necessary traffic to select which NIC to use dependent on the target address? By default all traffic is sent out on the mgmt subnet which routes out to the WAN and then can't get back on the application subnet?

I know in theory I can just stick everything on the same subnet if needed but I wanted to try and keep it as live like as possible?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Is there a way that I can get the necessary traffic to select which NIC to use dependent on the target address?
    That's exactly what subnets are for. The target address is compared with the network address of the card (which is its IP address AND'd with the subnet), and if it matches it knows to use that NIC.

Have you done it right?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

School boy error, had the NLB set to Unicast not Multicast so the NLB was masking the MAC so they all had the same virtual one rather than being able to communicate with each other
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
      X