• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Power saving on HDMI monitor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power saving on HDMI monitor

I have a Dell 21.5" 1080p external monitor connected to my laptop. With my old laptop, it was connected via VGA, and the external monitor would switch off with the laptop (i.e. if I closed the lid or it went into power saving). The only slight annoyance was that if I disconnected the VGA cable the monitor would switch back on and show the "no VGA cable" message bouncing around the screen for 15 minutes.

With my new laptop, I connect via HDMI, but the power saving no longer works. If I close the lid of the laptop, I now get the "no HDMI cable" message on the external monitor for the same 15 minutes. As this is in my living room it's annoying, and I end up manually switching it off, which then is more annoying when I reopen the laptop and it doesn't have the external monitor and rearranges the windows.. you get the idea.

Anyone faced this problem? Is this something that's lacking from HDMI, or is it something a graphics driver / monitor firmware update could fix?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Working...
X