• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IP Subnetting Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of comments:

What's the up speed on the ADSL - A stands for Asynchronous for a good reason - the up speed even on business lines are 1-2 mbit at best, so 18mbit is a huge step up plus I assume fiber is more reliable than noisy copper lines.

Second this is you're really stingy with the IP address allocation - they are you private IPs so why not assign at least one whole class C subnet such as 192.168.1.x to one network and 192,168.2.x to the other - in this case the 255.255.255.0 mask is fine and easier to remember. By splitting a single subnet you only get 125 or so usable addresses which might seem like a lot, until you start doing a lot of automated testing with lots of VMs.
    Also consider having some local hostnames/DNS or AD set up - and refer to your devices using that.

Comment

I use Free Network Monitoring Software | Spiceworks Free Network Management Software for network monitoring....very interesting piece of free kit too.

GE

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
        A couple of comments:

What's the up speed on the ADSL - A stands for Asynchronous for a good reason - the up speed even on business lines are 1-2 mbit at best, so 18mbit is a huge step up plus I assume fiber is more reliable than noisy copper lines.

Second this is you're really stingy with the IP address allocation - they are you private IPs so why not assign at least one whole class C subnet such as 192.168.1.x to one network and 192,168.2.x to the other - in this case the 255.255.255.0 mask is fine and easier to remember. By splitting a single subnet you only get 125 or so usable addresses which might seem like a lot, until you start doing a lot of automated testing with lots of VMs.
        Also consider having some local hostnames/DNS or AD set up - and refer to your devices using that.
        My ADSL up is 1mbps which is probably more than I need in 95%+ of situations and the other 5% aren't important enough for me to care. As long as I can VPN in and get a robust RDP session out then I'm happy (edit: as the most latency and bandwidth sensitive thing)

I prefer single subnets as then it's a simple matter of splitting the last octet around. I doubt I'll ever need more than 50 addresses, even with the multiple VMs I use; I have my DHCP lease expiry set at 1 week so I'd need to be going something to go through the 40 addresses in the range.
        Last edited by craig1; 25 April 2012, 10:37.

Comment

Working...
        X