• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Radar Detector/Snooper/Nav?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Radar Detector/Snooper/Nav?

In view of my recent third speeding ticket in six months after 25 years of driving with none, I realise I need to be ahead of the game.

So, having been Googling, can't decide between:

1. Proper Snooper Detector only

2. TomTom Go nav and detector device

3. TomTom Go iphone app

I now know that laser guns are undetectable until u've been zapped, so I need one with a database of known speed camera/mobile guns (they have to publish their locations) so I think the Snooper is overkill for me since I can usually spot the fixed cameras, all my three NIPs have been mobile lasers.

So, TomTom dedicated or TomTom app?

Have you considered Road Angel? Some models say they can detect laser. And these days they are SatNavs too.

I have a very old model (8 years old now), for when I'm driving somewhere unfamiliar, to keep me alert for cameras. And it has a laser detector. The one time the laser detector went off, I nearly sh*t myself, as the unit exclaimed "LASER! LASER! LASER!" very loudly !!!

Anyway, Road Angel has kept my licence clean for many years now.

I've also got the Cameras subscription for my TomTom, which is handy if I can't be bothered to plug in the separate Road Angel.

Personally, I wouldn't go for TomTom on my phone, I prefer a dedicated device.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Have you considered Road Angel? Some models say they can detect laser. And these days they are SatNavs too.

I have a very old model (8 years old now), for when I'm driving somewhere unfamiliar, to keep me alert for cameras. And it has a laser detector. The one time the laser detector went off, I nearly sh*t myself, as the unit exclaimed "LASER! LASER! LASER!" very loudly !!!

Anyway, Road Angel has kept my licence clean for many years now.

I've also got the Cameras subscription for my TomTom, which is handy if I can't be bothered to plug in the separate Road Angel.

Personally, I wouldn't go for TomTom on my phone, I prefer a dedicated device.
      Yeah looked at Road Angel Gem, but the sat nav in my car is poor, so I was looking to combine the two.

I've done me research, you can't detect laser beforehand unless your device luckily picks up stray signals from another target in front, otherwise it goes off when you've been targeted - too late. The detectors not rely on databases updated from published mobile laser camera locations (as they have to by law) so that's better than nothing. So to choose one that does frequent updates as all the decent ones seem to do.

I've look for Road Angel combined Nav/Detector now, I found a snooper one, but the interface looks crap compared to to the TomTom go - that's where my heart is ATM, but I know Road Angel looks good if I can get like for like.

TomTom app is good but offline for maps - 1.5gb space and slow load from what I've read...

Comment

Interesting.... I've looked again at the Road Angel website and they seem to have discontinued many products, including their 'Navigator' SatNav range. How odd.

Since the Gem does not include SatNav then TomTom seems to be the (only) solution.

And as a SatNav, I love my TomTom ... I've seen a few others, and I'd buy Tom Tom every time!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Interesting.... I've looked again at the Road Angel website and they seem to have discontinued many products, including their 'Navigator' SatNav range. How odd.

Since the Gem does not include SatNav then TomTom seems to be the (only) solution.

And as a SatNav, I love my TomTom ... I've seen a few others, and I'd buy Tom Tom every time!
          Looking at this:

GO LIVE 1005 Europe with Apps - Car navigation - TomTom

Not cheap, app version is 80 quid, plus 'in app' purchase for cameras, not idea how much...

Since I can use NAVFREE on iPhone as sat nav, just as good as any, and I don't use nav THAT much, can fire up NAVFREE is I need it, I'm just wondering whether to go with the Road Angel Gem which seems just to be dedicated to cameras. 130 quid.

Or, RA Gem and Tomtom app for 80 quid still cheaper than dedicated TomTom and one less device to carry...

Or, revisit the Snooper combined satnav/detector....

Arggh!!

I do like the RA Gem clear no frills display, nav nice but I have alternatives...

Comment

What I would like to see invented is a laser detector, that then fires a laser beam back a foot or so above the detected beam.

Then any kid pointing a beam at a driver or any pig clasping a gun in his trotter, would be blinded by your return fire.

I think that's perfectly fair and would solve the problem of speed traps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Hide, cojak is out with big scissors...
              Wow, that was impressive wasn't it!!?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Wow, that was impressive wasn't it!!?
                This'll go in a minute

Comment

If you're caught using them in France (since 1-1-2012) you will get fined and possibly have your car impounded, Germany also has very strict rules about using them, i.e. you will get fined...heavily. Apparently TomTom provide a download update which turns off the speed camera bit for France. Also from June when driving in France you must have a breathalyser in your car (honest!)
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Why not just use the speedometer?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X