• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT infinity thingy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    after which BT Super Infinity will be offered.
    I think Unlimited Infinity sounds a better name

Comment

All indications are that BT Infinity is well worth having - until everybody gets it and BT cracks down on bandwidth usage, after which BT Super Infinity will be offered. So hurry - get it while nobody else can - my exchange isn't even on a list to be done in near future where as exchanges in dodgy areas in Brum already enabled FFS
      They already do - P2P (which I use a lot for old Brit Telly stuff) they give you a 40Mbs pipe, and throttle it down to 25Kbs, so for me I might go for it and use my Seedbox, or try Sky Fibre when released.

BT is 10mb up, Sky 2mb up, same download, no throttling on Sky, 12 mth contract Sky, 24/12 with BT but BT price shoots up on 12 mth contract...

Or, stick with Be, use Seedbox and download at 16Mbs from that.

No fixed IP on Infinity Consumer, one on Business but more expensive.

To much choice, prefer CCCP, choice is yes or no!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        To much choice, prefer CCCP, choice is yes or no!
        In CCCP the choice was no for vast majority of citizens.

Comment

In CCCP the choice was no for vast majority of citizens.
          At least in the sixties they had toilets actually in the house - we never!

Like my dad said, 'Toilet? In the house? Bit unhygienic int it?'

The Soviet 'shelf' toilet, ahh, you get to check your stools before flushing....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            At least in the sixties they had toilets actually in the house - we never!
            Back then a lot of Soviet citizens did not have a house at all and had to live in a flat sharing communal kitchen. There are still plenty of them left without own flat.

Back in 90s when I got back from UK first time and started using modem to connect to Internet the phone company wanted me to register ****ing modem and pay extra for priviledge of using it.

Comment

Back then a lot of Soviet citizens did not have a house at all and had to live in a flat sharing communal kitchen. There are still plenty of them left without own flat.

Back in 90s when I got back from UK first time and started using modem to connect to Internet the phone company wanted me to register ****ing modem and pay extra for priviledge of using it.
              Yeah my missus lived in one, just like the one in 'Pokrovskiye Varota', classic movie. Gotta love those MOSFILM movies.

She had two hours free internet a night courtesy of her ex bf's bro who had it for uni. Trouble is her bro fell asleep and went over the two hours and got her in bother, and slos infected the uni puters with millions of viruses. No more INternet except on a 'card'...

Gone off CCCP now.....

CaShaAh!

Comment

Some salesman tried to persuade me I needed to do that in the UK too, because I'd be transferring "data" on the line.

And BT wanted you to use their approved modems only. Needless to say the approval process was so expensive that only industrial quality modems had it and they weren't cheap. I started out with an unapproved one and kept my gob shut.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

So hurry - get it while nobody else can - my exchange isn't even on a list to be done in near future where as exchanges in dodgy areas in Brum already enabled FFS
                  That will probably represent BT's preferred target market. When a cable TV company was assessing the market in a neighboring city in the early 1990s they were deliberately looking for skilled manual workers as customers and not yer middle class punters. More likely to sign up for expensive cable packages apparently.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I have infinty and now that they scrapped the cap (was 100GB then they limited you to 2MB), it's very very good. I can download an HD movie in 10-20 mins. I get 4MB/s About them throttling P2P, use nzbmatrix + a usenet subscription. This way you are downloading from a server and it's full speed from start to finish its over SSL and BT can't throttle it.
                    Last edited by russell; 25 March 2012, 15:34.

Comment

I am on BT Infinity and get a solid 37 down / 7 Mb up. However I do need a fixed IP address (not available on the BT infinity residential package).
                      I therefore use a service from DynDNS.com in order to maintain a “fixed” IP address to me domain name. so far this has worked well.
                      www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Working...
                      X