• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dead Laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Laptop

Hi All,

Just a bit of advice - my laptop has died - pretty sure it is a motherboard failure.

However I want some data of the harddrive - which should be fine.

How feasible will it be to buy another laptop and swap the hard drives?

Appreciate there will be lack of compatibility (probably) in a lot of areas (drivers n things) but do you think I could get a safe boot working?

Or is it just not that easy?

TIA!

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Hi All,

Just a bit of advice - my laptop has died - pretty sure it is a motherboard failure.

However I want some data of the harddrive - which should be fine.

How feasible will it be to buy another laptop and swap the hard drives?

Appreciate there will be lack of compatibility (probably) in a lot of areas (drivers n things) but do you think I could get a safe boot working?

Or is it just not that easy?

TIA!
    You could always take the drive out and fit it into one of those portable enclosures, they are like a fiver on ebay, I've done that before.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
      You could always take the drive out and fit it into one of those portable enclosures, they are like a fiver on ebay, I've done that before.
      WHS. USB hard drive enclosures cost next to nothing and when you've rescued the data you have a free USB hard drive.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
        WHS unless you buy the same make model and even then you could have problems, just buy a new laptop and just make that one into portable

Comment

cheers fellas will try that

Comment

Working...
          X