• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using iMac 27 inch screen as a monitor with a Windows laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using iMac 27 inch screen as a monitor with a Windows laptop

Anyone done this? What laptop is it?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Anyone done this? What laptop is it?
    To get the terminology straight:

Imac = a monitor with an embedded Mac onboard and runs windows in its own right
    Thunderbolt Display = Proprietary Display with daisy chaining ability
    Mac Display a monitor that will plug into anything with the right adapter.

I have two Thunderbolt displays and I plug them into my mac book pro however windows will only use one of two thunderbolts. that said I run OSX and just use parallels to run a small PC vm for Visio and Office.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      To get the terminology straight:

Imac = a monitor with an embedded Mac onboard and runs windows in its own right
      Thunderbolt Display = Proprietary Display with daisy chaining ability
      Mac Display a monitor that will plug into anything with the right adapter.

I have two Thunderbolt displays and I plug them into my mac book pro however windows will only use one of two thunderbolts. that said I run OSX and just use parallels to run a small PC vm for Visio and Office.
      Thunderbolt is not that proprietary, it's just that there's very non-Apple devices with it for now. A notable exception is Sony Vaio, but their solution, while based on TB is proprietary and allows for docking and using external GPU etc. Still you should be able to use that laptop in conjuction with iMac.

Finally does iMac not have any more standard inputs such as DVI?

Comment

I think you can put a non TB monitor onto the end of a chain on TB displays but it has to be the last thing in the chain.
        So yes if you have an Imac you could plug a Cinema screen into it for the second display. or you could have two TB screens.

Apple sell display adapters

Apple Displays & Graphics for Mac - Thunderbolt Technology Computer Monitors & Graphics Upgrades - Apple Store (U.S.)

Comment

The answer to my question is "Yes". Hurrah! To any laptop with a mini display port connector.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
          X