• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone feeling kind?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BlasterBates is probably right, sometimes a spreadsheet can go haywire when it's had data imported into it from elsewhere. I've seen it a few times and it's completely unpredictable.

Best bet is to start a brand new workbook, then copy and paste values from your broken sheet into a sheet in the new workbook. Then try a new lookup formula in the new workbook and see what happens.

You could also try making a new column in your existing sheet and fill it with =value(A2) (if Col A contains your lookup IDs) and paste down and then do the lookup on that column instead.

You could also try a combination of INDEX and MATCH instead of VLOOKUP.
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Thanks guys - I'll give rebuilding it a go and see how I get on. The data on the various sheets is all imported from other programmes so I think you may be right that it has just thrown a wobbly
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Right tried that. I have come to the conclusion that it must be the data that's been imported that's causing the problem as a really simple Vlookup is not working in a completely new workbook. Some of the data is downloaded as a csv file from a banking system - do any of you know whether or not they would have built something in to stop the data being used???? Have tried =CLEAN(), =TRIM(), =LEN() and =ISNUMBER() on the data and everything seems to have worked - length is correct and number format is confirmed but am still getting #N/A

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          Right tried that. I have come to the conclusion that it must be the data that's been imported that's causing the problem as a really simple Vlookup is not working in a completely new workbook. Some of the data is downloaded as a csv file from a banking system - do any of you know whether or not they would have built something in to stop the data being used???? Have tried =CLEAN(), =TRIM(), =LEN() and =ISNUMBER() on the data and everything seems to have worked - length is correct and number format is confirmed but am still getting #N/A
          Can you narrow it down to a really simple example, change the data a bit so there are no privacy concerns then post it up here? Or maybe PM it to those who are interested - I am!

Comment

Have you reference locked your arrays?
            one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
              Have you reference locked your arrays?
              Yep all good

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                Yep all good
                Are your numbers formatted as text?
                one day at a time

Comment

All sorted - thanks for all the input guys and a big for Brillo who has just saved my sanity

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

All resolved now - I am an excel god!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      All resolved now - I am an excel god!
                      Trailing spaces?
                      one day at a time

Comment

Working...