• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Parallels or VMWare Fusion properly usable as a dev platform?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running Fusion which hosts Win2007, SQL Server, VS2010, Eclipse, mysql and apahce

No problem at all - the VM has 2Gb of RAM.

The *only* thing that I don't like is the Mac's overriding of the function keys.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
      The *only* thing that I don't like is the Mac's overriding of the function keys.
      Does anything in this thread help?
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
        You can change that in SysPrefs...

Comment

Ta for the responses.

Have decided to set up a Boot Camp partition and get Parallels as well.

Looks like Parallels can use an existing in-situ Bootcamp partition as a VM so it'll be easy to compare performance between both of them.

If it performs well under Parallels, it seems you can fully import the existing Bootcamp instance into the OSX partition as a VM image and then totally remove Bootcamp if required.

Comment

Tested this over the weekend by doing a couple of days 'proper' development within Parallels.

Answer is yes, its absolutely fine and performs consistently pretty much the same as native Bootcamp. Used a Macbook Pro mid 2010 Core i5 with 8GB memory, 2.5GB of which was allocated to Win7 (along with 2 cores) which was run by Parallels from the existing Bootcamp partition.

Was running VS2010 and Adobe Fireworks within the Win 7 VM, both of which are pretty resource hungry and both were speedy. Didn't get any slowdown either in OSX whie running the VM.

As a test, I ran the above configuration and then also launched an Ubuntu VM using 1.5GB/1 core and ran a game within it at the same time. Again, OSX, Win7 & Linux were all lovely but by this point OSX was showing 7GB of the available memory 'properly' in use so think that was about the limit of what would run at a decent speed.

In all, very impressed by the latest version of Parallels.

Comment

Working...
            X