• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to buy a new laptop - which is best for around £1K

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    advantage with one of these is that fitting a second internal hard disk is a doddle, then you can read from one HDD, process and write to the other
    Two disks on one controller gives you nothing, or very little, two or more scsi controllers is the way, but never going to happen on a lappy.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Two disks on one controller gives you nothing, or very little, two or more scsi controllers is the way, but never going to happen on a lappy.....
      A modern PC with SATA effectively has a controller per port. The days of disks sharing an IDE bus are long gone.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
        Don't get a Sony. In my experience they're badly put together and not very resilient.
        Also, after seeing how they put rootkits on people's PCs when they played a Sony CD on them, and then refused to apologise for stealthily making people's PCs vulnerable to hackers, I'd be reluctant to get the whole PC from Sony, lord knows what they might have put on there.
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
          Don't get a Sony. In my experience they're badly put together and not very resilient.

I bought a Vaio and regretted it completely, bits of it falling off after a few months and having to be glued back on....And I really look after my stuff so it wasnt me being heavy handed,
          Same here, Sony are a steaming pile of poo, make good tellies but laptops very poor never seen a good one, lenovo not bad but no good in a corporate environment, acer and HP just cheap, go for the Dell everytime

Comment

Why are lenovo no good in a corp environment? That's their target market!
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              Why are lenovo no good in a corp environment? That's their target market!
              out the box They span the boot sector over 4 partitions, causes issues when imaging especially using Ghost, seen issues with them when their encrypted, if you get the build right there fine, oh and there loaded with all sorts of weird and wonderfull lenovo software, im not a fan, they never seem as stable has a Dell, as IBM they were fine but seem to have gone off the boil since lenovo took them over, mind you their cheap enough thats why the corporate love them

Comment

The Lenovo Thinkpads & HP EliteBooks are both solid machines with not much to choose between them. Dell Precision I would say are on a par, I haven't seen one of the latest generation ones yet but the last ones were alright. They are the only three I would spend my own money on. Fujitsus are pretty crappy, and having shelled out £1700 for a top of the range Sony once in my life I will never do it again. They simply aren't targeted at professional users.

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                out the box They span the boot sector over 4 partitions, causes issues when imaging especially using Ghost, seen issues with them when their encrypted, if you get the build right there fine, oh and there loaded with all sorts of weird and wonderfull lenovo software, im not a fan, they never seem as stable has a Dell, as IBM they were fine but seem to have gone off the boil since lenovo took them over, mind you their cheap enough thats why the corporate love them
                All the laptops that I have seen in a corporate environment have had a standard build that nukes any existing partitions & preinstalled software (inevitably replacing it with some other piles of bloated crap) and I've seen plenty of places using Thinkpads, so I doubt they are that bad, unless you're actually trying to preserve the existing partition structure for some reason?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Surely the first thing you do is to take a laptop and reinstall windows to remove all the crap the manufacturer has being paid to dump on you.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                    And their spell checker is crap too, right ;-)
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                      And their spell checker is crap too, right ;-)
                      As far as I can see every word in his post was spelt correctly.
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X