• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non Clustered Index Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Clustered Index Question

I was under the impression that a non clustered index hould be created where the query results will be highly selective.

The execution plan for a badly performing query is prompting me to put a nc index on a status field; one that can only have 1 of 5 values. In fact, the clause statusid <> 11 brings back approx 25% of a table containing 300,000 rows.

Suggested index also includes all the other fields in the table but only statusid is in the index.

The optimiser uses the index & the query performs much better.
    I just don't get it as it sees to go against all the rules.

Can anyone see what's going on?

This is the query:

SELECT wi.*,wia.*
    FROM WorkItem wi
    LEFT OUTER JOIN WorkItemAction wia ON wia.WorkItemId = wi.WorkItemId
    WHERE wi.StatusId NOT IN (11, 15, 99)
    AND wia.statusid <> 11
    AND (wi.OwnerTeamMember_TeamMemberId = @teammemberid OR wia.AllocatedTeamMember_TeamMemberId = @teammemberid )
    ORDER BY wia.nextactiondate, wi.nextretrydate, wi.priority, wi.currentweighting desc

even on columns with a low cardinality, an index will stop the SQL engine having to perform a table scan

There is also the issue of statistics
    you may have only 4 different values in a column but if 90% are one value, 7% another, 2% the third with the fourth value getting 1%, then the index with statistics will be able to find that 1% a lot faster than without.
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 30 January 2012, 18:23.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
    X