• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SSRS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSRS

Hello all,

I've been contracting a while now and viewed the technical forums here a few times and I'm looking to train up on SSRS and add this to my skill set.

Researching on the net I believe report builder v3 is the latest version and compatible with SQL Server 2008 R2.

Any advise on any trial downloads, on-lines resources and books would be really appreciated as a lot of material is out there.

Thanks a lot.

I've downloading and installed what appears to be a 'stand-alone' version of report builder v3.0 for SQLServer 2008 R2.

There are a number of books with learning CDs on amazon - can anyone recommend one in particular?

Thanks.

Comment

Don't bother with report builder -it's tulip and I mean really bad.
      Its too basic for proper development and too awkward for users - the result is that most companies don't even know it exists. Even the microsoft people I've heard talk about it agree it wasn't the best of products.

download and install SQL Server 2008 R2 trial
      Get a book like this one:
      Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services Step by Step, Book/CD Package: Amazon.co.uk: Stacia Misner: Books
      and start working through it

You'll be using visual studio to build the reports but this will be installed with the SQL Server client tools
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Don't bother with report builder -it's tulip and I mean really bad.
        Its too basic for proper development and too awkward for users - the result is that most companies don't even know it exists. Even the microsoft people I've heard talk about it agree it wasn't the best of products.

download and install SQL Server 2008 R2 trial
        Get a book like this one:
        Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services Step by Step, Book/CD Package: Amazon.co.uk: Stacia Misner: Books
        and start working through it

You'll be using visual studio to build the reports but this will be installed with the SQL Server client tools
        Thank you.

Your reply is much appreciated as you have saved me a lot of time and that the book you recommended in one I've seen during my research. I'm confused by what I've researched so far see below:-

From other forum

"If you are using SSRS 2008, you should utilize ReportBuilder 2.0 rather than report builder 3.0, as ReportBuilder 3.0 could only deploy the report to SSRS 2008 R2 server, if you want to schedule the report to be emailed, I think you should deploy the report to report server then open your report manager site to create email delivery subscription."

From Wiki

"SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is a server-based report generation software system from Microsoft. It can be used to prepare and deliver a variety of interactive and printed reports. It is administered via a web interface. Reporting services features a web services interface to support the development of custom reporting applications. SSRS competes with Crystal Reports and other business intelligence tools, and is included in Developer, Standard, and Enterprise editions of Microsoft SQL Server as an install option. Reporting Services was first released in 2004 as an add-on to SQL Server 2000. The second version was released as a part of SQL Server 2005 in November 2005. The latest version was released as part of SQL Server 2008 in August 2008."

I assumed report builder versions were SSRS releases...

Another contractor I worked with did say SSRS is deployed via visual studio so what you're saying makes sense. I'm from an Oracle background but want to learn SSRS so I can integrate data extracts and other reports for clients with Sharepoint via SQLServer/SSRS but find this all very confusing.

Thanks again for your post.
        Last edited by Regent; 5 January 2012, 21:23.

Comment

Following a bit more research, 'report builder' seems to be a red herring. As per SQLServer there is SSRS 2005 and 2008 (2012 to follow). If MS has reporting services, what the fook is 'report builder' all about?

Comment

Originally posted by Regent View Post
            Following a bit more research, 'report builder' seems to be a red herring. As per SQLServer there is SSRS 2005 and 2008 (2012 to follow). If MS has reporting services, what the fook is 'report builder' all about?
            report builder was the end user report building tool

as I said earlier, don't bother with it!
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

report builder was the end user report building tool

as I said earlier, don't bother with it!
              Thanks Spacecadet,
              'Report Builder' removed from pc, SQLServer 2008 R2 trial installed and book purchased.

Comment

Oracle always no.1; still, getting to grips with SSRS should get me a few contracts. Need a shower after downloading all this MS stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Regent View Post
                  Oracle always no.1; still, getting to grips with SSRS should get me a few contracts. Need a shower after downloading all this MS stuff.
                  For Business Intelligence Microsoft is generally better regarded than Oracle.
                  You really need to get into the entire Microsoft SQL Server BI stack: SSIS, SSAS, SSRS plus T-SQL.
                  Powerpivot and Stream insight are both going to see massive market share increases over the next 12 months and the new version of SQL Server due out this year introduces even more data consumer led reporting changes.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

For Business Intelligence Microsoft is generally better regarded than Oracle.
                    You really need to get into the entire Microsoft SQL Server BI stack: SSIS, SSAS, SSRS plus T-SQL.
                    Powerpivot and Stream insight are both going to see massive market share increases over the next 12 months and the new version of SQL Server due out this year introduces even more data consumer led reporting changes.
                    I think you are correct Spacecadet. There seems to be good rates out there for MS BI stack contracts. I'm a bit stuck in the old school and got a bit frustrated with my research on SSRS and 'report builder' throwing a spanner in the works.

I'm getting on fine now with the trail version of SSRS and I'm quite impressed with what I've seen so far.

However, for heavyweight ERP apps requiring maximum security/integrity I still believe Oracle provides the most robust RDBMS at the moment. I believe the MS BI stack integrates with Oracle anyway so the best of both worlds can be achieved.

Thanks again for your help.
                    Last edited by Regent; 9 January 2012, 18:07.

Comment

Working...
                    X