• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VBA and Excel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At cargill their traders Daily PnL sheets were all based on Lotus 123 sheets. I found comments in the code that dated back 10 years and one where a chunk of VBA was to 'replace a 123 function that Excel doesn't have'
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
      Ofthe the reason is down to Access being included in Office Pro rather than Office Std and so does not tend to get deployed as often. Also there tends to be fewer people kicking about who can make a database than can throw together a spreadsheet. I've worked at loads of places where they have struggled to implement database functionality into a spreadsheet but simply will not accept a database! On the plus side it gives ample opportunity to keep on generating invoices! Grin and bank it!

it is possible to do and not difficult. I also would side with the Access solution as things can become a mess in Excel very easily!
      I used Access many years ago to keep software licence details for a fleet of systems.

When I tried to open the database a few years later, Access claimed it couldn't read that version.

I was not impressed. At all.

Even if I hadn't come across that little gem, the new PC that arrived a little later didn't have Access.

Fortunately I still had the scripts I'd written to grab that data again, and shove it into a proper database (Oracle).
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

A spreadsheet. Sheesh.

Wrong tools.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          A spreadsheet. Sheesh.

Wrong tools.
          Everyone should be using Oracle instead.

LarryE
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            A spreadsheet. Sheesh.

Wrong tools.
            I have recommended SharePoint, as it is quite easy to do most of what I want using the workflows built in.
            SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              I used Access many years ago to keep software licence details for a fleet of systems.

When I tried to open the database a few years later, Access claimed it couldn't read that version.

I was not impressed. At all.

Even if I hadn't come across that little gem, the new PC that arrived a little later didn't have Access.

Fortunately I still had the scripts I'd written to grab that data again, and shove it into a proper database (Oracle).
              Never come accross that one. I know when moving from 2 to v97 it would ask if you wanted to convert the data - but it would still open and use it. It's hardly the fault of the application if the file has been corrupted. As I said earlier, Access is not part of office std - but neither in Oracle! Also people who can work with access tend to be cheaper than 'proper' DBA's
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
                I have recommended SharePoint, as it is quite easy to do most of what I want using the workflows built in.
                From what I have been told, Sharepoint is good for simple stuff, but you can't build multi field primary keys, making it a bit rubbish for many tasks. Could be wrong though as I've not really played with it

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                X