• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle stored proc simple problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    This is why Oracle does my f****** nut in.

Consider the following stored procedure call :

Code:
    DECLARE
    commentTypeId integer;
    BEGIN
    Exec SP_ADD_COMMENT_TYPE ('New comment Type', commentTypeId);
    END;
    According to the examples on the web this is fine. According to the examples given on here this is fine.

According to the SQL Developer tools THIS IS NOT FINE.

I have tried it with and without EXEC. I have tried it with and without CALL. I have tried it in SQL+.

I'm not sure what examples you've been looking at, but I've never seen exec or call included in a PL/SQL block.

EXEC is a SQL*Plus command to execute the procedure from the command line.

The following works fine for me in APEX, so should be fine in any other version of the database from 8i onwards (all I did was remove the word exec from your example):

Code:
    create or replace procedure sp_add_comment_type ( p_comment IN VARCHAR2, p_commentID OUT PLS_INTEGER ) AS
    BEGIN
      p_commentID := -1;
    END;
    /

Procedure created.
    0.11 seconds

DECLARE
      commentTypeId integer;
    BEGIN
      SP_ADD_COMMENT_TYPE ('New comment Type', commentTypeId);
    END;
    /

Statement processed.
    0.00 seconds
    If I add exec or call to the code, then I get the error message you describe. If I don't then the code works fine for me.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      I haven't got a clue but have you tried it without the space:

Most programming languages don't have a space between a function and parameters...
      Oracle doesn't care one way or the other whether there are 0, 1 or >1 spaces included.

It's clever like that
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
      X