• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Vs Linux Web hosting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vs Linux Web hosting

Hi Folks,

Having set up my new Ltd business I am in the process of designing the website. Which would be the recommended hosting option Windows or Linux? Also, the 'free space' from my ISP won't run ASP (so isn't windows correct?) and I reckon with a bit of googleing I could find enough examples to get it to do what I want. Are CGI/Perl hugely different or more complex?

Any advice or recommendations much appreciated.

Originally posted by SAPBoy
    Hi Folks,

Having set up my new Ltd business I am in the process of designing the website. Which would be the recommended hosting option Windows or Linux? Also, the 'free space' from my ISP won't run ASP (so isn't windows correct?) and I reckon with a bit of googleing I could find enough examples to get it to do what I want. Are CGI/Perl hugely different or more complex?

Any advice or recommendations much appreciated.
    As a general rule, Windows hosting will give you ASP capability and Linux hosting will give you PHP capability. There isn't a lot to choose between the two. They're basically the same thing - an interpreted scripting language. I'd avoid CGI/Perl to be honest.

However, Windows hosting tends to be more expensive. Probably to do with licensing costs and higher admin requirements. YMMV.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Thanks CB,

I have a spare machine at home with FreeBSD on it. Does it have to be Linux for PHP to work? I have some older versions of Ret hat/Fedora I could use - What other software might I need?

Comment

Thanks CB,

I have a spare machine at home with FreeBSD on it. Does it have to be Linux for PHP to work? I have some older versions of Ret hat/Fedora I could use - What other software might I need?
        No FreeBSD is fine.

For Apache2 and PHP5 on FreeBSD-5/6:
        Update your ports tree then:
        cd /usr/ports/www/apache20
        make install clean
        cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php5
        make install clean

OR use packages for binary installs (pkg_add -r apache20 etc.)

Then edit /etc/rc.conf
        apache2_enable="YES"
        apachectl start

They are the only specific instructions for FreeBSD.

Don't forget to enable mod_php in apache + directory index for index.php (these are cross platform user preferences really) in httpd.conf:

LoadModule php5_module libexec/apache2/libphp5.so
        <IfModule mod_php5.c>
        DirectoryIndex index.php
        AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
        AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
        </IfModule>

Comment

Thanks CB,

PHP runs on anything - Windows included - just that it tends to be installed on Linux managed hosts.

You should find it on the install discs of your Linux distribution of choice - though I'd get a more up to date version if it's going to be Internet facing. For FreeBSD it may be available in ports, but if not you'll have to compile it from source - http://www.php.net/downloads.php

Compiling from source isn't that painful, I've done it on a FreeBSD box before.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Thanks Bob - Much appreciated.

Comment

I have PHP running on my Windows Server, as well as CGI/Perl

no problems to speak off....
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
              X