• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

noobie question ...........Is share point similar to cloud systems?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noobie question ...........Is share point similar to cloud systems?

if not what are the "cheap" ways for a small business to implement cloud computing?

Not speaking as an expert, SharePoint as originally designed was a collaboration type of software. Shared document libraries accessed via a web browser etc. There is however a "Cloud" version of SharePoint available.

Microsoft Office 365 is a cloud offerring of Exchange, web based office and SharePoint. With it for around £5.00 a month you get 25GB of storage space for emails and documents.

You could also consider Google Apps which is what I am currently using.

HTH
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Define what you mean by "implement cloud computing".

As Netraider says, Google Apps might be a good place to start, but not knowing quite what you mean, it's difficult to answer.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

When you say cloud computing, do you want to:

Run apps over the internet?
        Store data in an internet enabled location?
        Run server-based services in a remote datacenter?
        Provision a facility to extend your datacentre compute power to a remote datacentre during peak periods or for specific tasks?

Cloud is still a bit of a marekting term used for various scenarios such as above.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          When you say cloud computing, do you want to:

Run apps over the internet?
          Store data in an internet enabled location?
          Run server-based services in a remote datacenter?
          Provision a facility to extend your datacentre compute power to a remote datacentre during peak periods or for specific tasks?

Cloud is still a bit of a marekting term used for various scenarios such as above.
          As Marc Benioff said last year (and Larry Ellison ripped the piss out of him this year for it at OOW) - beware of false clouds.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Sharepoint is a software framework which can be used to create a website or a portal or some collaboration type website.

It has got nothing to do with cloud computing.

Cloud computing in general sense means hosting an app on the cloud and this cloud is owned by some major players like MS, Google etc.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Oracle cloud ?

Anybody know when its going on general release?

Any recommendations for other java/spring cloud offerings?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
                Anybody know when its going on general release?
                You can sign up for an email alert when it's out (cloud.oracle.com)

I'm going to be at UKOUG in December so will see if anything is detailed then.

I guess the answer is that it'll be on GA once it works (or possibly before it works, if some other products are anything to go by!)

Having watch Larry demonstrate it and social networking at OOW, I think it's got legs
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Small company, of less than 10 employee's.

The company has keeps all their documents on the servers at Client co.

Some of the users are now abroad a lot and would like to access these files. we currently email you sue memory sticks to send the files.

Can we our existing file structure and import folders (and documents) into something like Microsoft office 365 or do we use cloud based software.

We currently have sharepoint on the office but don't think this can host the amount of information we have?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by thelurker View Post
                    Small company, of less than 10 employee's.

The company has keeps all their documents on the servers at Client co.

Some of the users are now abroad a lot and would like to access these files. we currently email you sue memory sticks to send the files.

Can we our existing file structure and import folders (and documents) into something like Microsoft office 365 or do we use cloud based software.

We currently have sharepoint on the office but don't think this can host the amount of information we have?

Thanks
                    I'd migrate to Google Apps.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X