• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm P.P.P.o.A., I'm P.P.P.o.A., I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm P.P.P.o.A

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    So, can anyone recommend a decent wireless ADSL router to speed up my broadband (if indeed that is possible)? I was looking at the Netgear N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ modem router, but would that be a waste of money? ie - my bb speed governed by other factors? Sorry to sound thick but ISPs/PPPoA etc isn't my strong point.
    qh
    How fast is your broadband? Depends what the bottleneck is. If your current wireless is faster than your broadband connection, there's little point upgrading. If the WiFi is the slowest part of the system, then you'll probably get a benefit.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      WHS.

Use the router provided by the ISP (and complain and get it replaced if it can't support the faster broadband speeds now offered) and plug a gigabit switch into it for your local network.

The router handles all the NAT/IP address stuff so you just plug in the switch and away you go.

I have 2 switches daisy chained off my router (which only has 2 ethernet outputs), to provide local networking in the 'office' and TV rooms, and all works good enough for me.
      WTS.

I have a very expensive ADSL/ISDN router which has been sitting in the cupboard ever since I sacked my telephone line in favour of cable.

You are better off getting a non-ADSL router which will plug into your existing kit. My latest router is a cheap and cheerful TP-Link which has 4 Gigabit LAN ports plus wireless; it actually came to little more than a standalone Gigabit switch. It started out a bit unreliable on the wireless side, so I put dd-wrt firmware on it (not for the faint of heart - read the instructions very carefully) and it has been rock solid ever since.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
      X