• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile phone networks and new phone recs, please.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile phone networks and new phone recs, please.

Right, currently on Orange but the last few months, the network hasnt been putting calls through to my phone (diverts are off in case anyone was thinking!). I know this because days later, once over 2 weeks later, I finally got answer phone messages delivered on the day going back to that time! (Hope that's clear!)

So, I want to jibb orange off and use a more reliable network.

I also think its time I got a smart 'ish' phone instead of the bog standard ones I usually have.

So, Im thinking of something like an HTC Desire HD but I gather its battery life is a bit tulip?

I also dont need anything stupid regarding tulip loads of minutes, text and gigabytes of data. Something that gives either 100 or 300 minutes and text and about 250mb of data.

I dont want a samsung phone as I dont like who they sponsor. It would have to be pay monthly as I dont want to pay 300 sheets up front for the phone. Other than that, any suggestions for network, tariff and phone?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Consider Giff Gaff for your sim if you want to keep monthly costs down.

They don't sell the phones though, so if you don't already have a decent phone you'd need to buy full price. Worth keeping in mind.

Comment

I've recently acquired a HTC Sensation and think its a fantastic bit of kit!

Comment

If you are after a smart phone then you will be tempted use the internet connectivity... 250mb will not last long!

Comment

Originally posted by castoff101 View Post
          If you are after a smart phone then you will be tempted use the internet connectivity... 250mb will not last long!
          Hmmm, possible.

Maybe 500mb then. I really dont think I'll be on tinterweb that much via a phone though!
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

1: Wait until September when the latest iToy is out. They ought to have completed beta testing them by then.
            2: Go Android / HTC and live up the geeky potential.
            3: Embrace WinMo & HTC or Nokia, and good luck with that. I hear good things about WM7 but wouldn't bother taking the risk.

My info about other networks is about 7 yrs old - as around that time I went with O2 and haven't looked back. They may not be the cheapest but their customer service left Orange and Vodafone way, way behind. Also - Vodafone have rubbish reception in and around the City. O2 aren't perfect, but they've not let me down more than a few times in quite a while.

Comment

Talkmobile : Great Value Calls and Texts on Pay As You Go and Pay Monthly use Vodafone who are pretty good and they have a range of deals that might suit

e.g. HTC Wildfire S 200mins /200 texts / 1GB data 24 mths for £12/mth

Or for bigger screen:

HTC Desire S 300mins / 3000 texts / 1GB data 24 months for £18/mth

I'm on a £18 deal with a Samsung Galaxy S (sorry) and it's been good for me

Comment

Been with them all apart from 3, o2 wins hands down.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X