• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP internet Connection on exit hibernate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP internet Connection on exit hibernate

Thius has only recently started happening so is probably as a result of an update for MS.

When I exit from hibernate my wireless network in connected OK.

However when I attempt to access any website I alway get "connection refused" in netscape. ie just times out.

The only way to reconnect seems to be to right click on the wireless icon and click repair.

Anubody got any ideas as to how I might fix this?

Cheers.

There's an option somewhere that's "allow the computer to switch off this device to save power". Uncheck it.

I had this after I installed SP2 IIRC.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

But it's hibernate, so the card is always switched off. I leave it enabled in standby and I don't get the problem exiting from standaby so it is obviously tsomething to do with restarting the card.

Comment

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

It does sound like the symptom I had though - says it's working but no IP address. Might be worth a try anyway.

I suspect in my case SP2 had updated the driver, so maybe you could revert to an earlier version?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

This is of no help at all but when I hibernate my wireless lappy it reconnects fine!

Just out of interest, I use a wired ADSL router with a separate WAP, not a wireless router with a built-in access point. Dunno if that would make any difference?

Comment

Same config

It's not a huge problem, but bloody annoying.

Comment

I do have an all in one. But the problem is with the size of ASB towers and the location of the unit I can connect to it but it's out of range for Mrs ASB's office.

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
                Wires are the answer! The house I'm renting came fully cabled by it's ex-geek inhabitants which was nice!
                Or a common standard for wireless to enable you to use repeaters. My all in one supports this my 3com doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                X