• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good web sites, and those to avoid, using mobile Internet access

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good web sites, and those to avoid, using mobile Internet access

Now Internet is enabled on my brand spanking new mobby, I am wondering what sites are best for things like news and weather, and sites I should avoid.

Given the stringent "fair use" limits, obviously the main reason to avoid a site is if it shovels out megabytes of carp (Flash video ads for example) per page or periodic sneaky Ajax updates.

Any ideas? How is CUK for a mobile client for example?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

CUK displays awful on my Nokia E72. My main problem is that you can't read the titles of posts before opening them since you only get the first 2 or 3 words.

I downloaded Opera Mini (or is it Opera Mobile?) and this helped with the display problems, but now I get all kinds of 'out of memory' issues. Opera loads the non-mobile versions of websites with all of the bulky flash animations and graphics.

BBC News and Weather mobile sites display very well and are very lightweight + fast.
    The Times mobile site is now a subscription only site, so I no longer use it.
    Torygraph has a mobile site which is ok.
    Google news displays quite nicely too. One of my fave tools for browsing or searching for news articles.

Comment

As far as the bandwidth/download limits go, have a default browser with minimal content settings for read-only browsing.

I'm on a mobile dongle (though not a mobile client, so can't comment on the display issues) with similar limitations, and as most of my browsing is text based I turn javascript/images/etc. off in Chrome, and use that.

When I need to view more heavy duty content or want to interact (eg. here), I reload in max-powered IE/FF/whatever.

Firefox probably has various extensions (eg. adblocker) to help limit content in normal browsing as well.

There may well be a show everything/show text only one-click button in one of the browsers/extensions (think Opera has something similar) to save switching browsers.
      Last edited by Clever Hans; 24 May 2011, 23:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Clever Hans View Post
        I'm on a mobile dongle (though not a mobile client, so can't comment on the display issues)
        But I had a bit of a look, anyway...

Try these:

List of websites optimized for mobile devices

Mobile Web - Cantoni.mobi

m. prefix sometimes brings up the mobile-friendly version of a site.

Comment

This site needs Tapatalk!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            This site needs Tapatalk!
            And a bit of old fashioned courtesy when people make an effort to answer your question, like they used to have in the old days in the blitz.

Comment

Working...
            X