• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Explorer Woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Explorer Woes

Periodically, I will select a folder in Windows Explorer & the hourglass comes up and it becomes unresponsive for 1 minute plus.

I have Tortoise SVN installed & suspect that this is the root of the problem but I've followed the recommendation of putting all my source control stuff under one subdirectory & configuring tortoise to ignore all other folders.
    I've also looked in task manager & the TSvnCache process doesn't seem to be doing anything untoward.

Anyone got any ideas? It's driving me nuts.

Get a Mac.

Comment

chkdsk /r from the command prompt (runs when it restarts), cures a multitude of things when PC's start to freeze

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
        Periodically, I will select a folder in Windows Explorer & the hourglass comes up and it becomes unresponsive for 1 minute plus.

I have Tortoise SVN installed & suspect that this is the root of the problem but I've followed the recommendation of putting all my source control stuff under one subdirectory & configuring tortoise to ignore all other folders.
        I've also looked in task manager & the TSvnCache process doesn't seem to be doing anything untoward.

Empty your recycle bin (just in case its that), then download process explorer from MS which will give you more clues to move forward than task manager.

Process Explorer
        Last edited by Clever Hans; 24 May 2011, 12:41.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Clear your "recently accessed files" cache.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X