• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote Desktops and Imaging / Rebuilds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Desktops and Imaging / Rebuilds

I'm pretty solid on using tried and tested tools, like Norton Ghost and attending a site with an image, then blasting it to a local HDD.

What I am hazy on is how to do this remotely, to a user in say Scotland, whilst I am in London, and what decent tools and products there are out there to do this ?

I've used PXE in the office, when building machines and getting the image from a server locally, but I wonder what folks use these days to do it remotely ?

Ideally with as little user technical input as possible.

I'd appreciate any constructive comments from those currently using such technologies. Thank you !
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Not sure I'm helping here but in the enterprise Unix world we have an ILO or SP - ie a separate little integral card or box that can boot the box, halt it, power it off and stay alive so long os it's plugged in.

That way we can always start again, boot cd, boot network, anytime.

Dunno about the PC world though.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Not sure I'm helping here but in the enterprise Unix world we have an ILO or SP - ie a separate little integral card or box that can boot the box, halt it, power it off and stay alive so long os it's plugged in.

That way we can always start again, boot cd, boot network, anytime.

Dunno about the PC world though.
      x86 servers usually have the same sort of remote management facilities with built in VNC servers / KVM over IP & the ability to mount media remotely.

Desktops & Laptops generally don't have this though some recent ones might, via something called Intel AMT. Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen one, but then I'm not really a desktop hardware guy.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm going to attempt putting my old laptop disk image onto a new laptop so will be watching this thread with interest
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
          I'm going to attempt putting my old laptop disk image onto a new laptop so will be watching this thread with interest
          something like Acronis has the ability to restore a backup to different hardware. Its not free though and apparently the current version is tulip
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            something like Acronis has the ability to restore a backup to different hardware. Its not free though and apparently the current version is tulip
            yeah have a version of that but if its tulip really wont bother with it - norton has a bad rep for me due to the anti-virus stuff but maybe should give ghost a go

what I need it to do is just work - straight out of the box. take image of disk, copy image on blank hard drive (haven't worked how yet) and then hopefully start new laptop and its the same as my old one
            sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

Comment

what I need it to do is just work - straight out of the box. take image of disk, copy image on blank hard drive (haven't worked how yet) and then hopefully start new laptop and its the same as my old one
              You'll be lucky - different hardware, drivers, etc. No chance.

I couldn't get the Acronis thing to even restore, nevermind to different hardware. An absolute bag o'tulipe sorry to say. Just when I needed it

Comment

yeah have a version of that but if its tulip really wont bother with it - norton has a bad rep for me due to the anti-virus stuff but maybe should give ghost a go

what version have you got? I'm running 2010 which runs fine
                it should be as straight forward as connecting external dive with backup to new laptop and then running a restore on the new laptop
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  You'll be lucky - different hardware, drivers, etc. No chance.

I couldn't get the Acronis thing to even restore, nevermind to different hardware. An absolute bag o'tulipe sorry to say. Just when I needed it
                  bugger I've just realised that you're right - I could easily fix the drivers but don't know if ill even be able to get into windows to do that

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    what version have you got? I'm running 2010 which runs fine
                    it should be as straight forward as connecting external dive with backup to new laptop and then running a restore on the new laptop
                    its on me other laptop so will have to check

What platypus has said had got me thinking and think ill have to match the hardware first - i originally thought that getting the O/S, registry etc was all I needed to replicate but of course the drivers will be unique to my hardware - hmmm still think I could kludge it but would need a custom built lappy and more patience than I have.... need to think this through

Comment

Working...
                    X