• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Management software for a rota system?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Management software for a rota system?

I suspect most Project Management software is overkill for this, but here goes.

This appears at first glance to be a simple rota system for the things that staff don't really want to do, such as manning the phones, collecting the post etc., but I suspect it gets more complicated.

So that the rota is seen to be fair:
    • anyone off sick gets reallocated another slot automatically so they can't blob to get out of it
    • those working part time only have to do a proportionate amount of rota filling - e.g. someone doing 2 days a week only has to do 2/5 of the amount someone working full time does

and obviously if someone is off sick, the appropriate tasks get rescheduled (my bank once neglected to get someone else to empty their letterbox when the lass who usually did it was on holiday and yours truly had a whopping big cheque to be paid in sat there doing diddly squat).

Should be simple. At present a spreadsheet is being used, but they are finding it error prone (and therefore think that a spreadsheet solution is not sufficient).

Budget too small to spring for MS Project or farm it out to a big shop. Ideal "get my foot in the door" material. Open source or even non-Windows based not a problem (the latter could be an advantage even).

Suggestions please!
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

honestly a well written spreadsheet will do it, most PM software is overkill for these kinds of tasks
    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

We used to have a little cgi scripted web page that had a radio button for every one on the team (so you could choose who was taking part) and a submit button, and when you submitted it it chose someone at random.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Sort it out in Excel - not rocket science.
        The real trick is going to be getting the data accurate, people's holiday schedules, timely update when someone's sick etc....trust me...that's where it will fall down.

Comment

Actually a quick google turns up a few options. What about this?

Rota Board: account - login
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
            The real trick is going to be getting the data accurate, people's holiday schedules, timely update when someone's sick etc....trust me...that's where it will fall down.
            I think you have hit the nail on the head and this is where their current solution is falling down.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Actually a quick google turns up a few options. What about this?

Rota Board: account - login
            Thanks. I forgot to mention I probably need a German version, so something with source that can be translated would be better. I could of course ask 'em
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
              this is it, even the best designed app is still reliant on human input
              sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

You can check out the comparison table of various project management software in this blog: http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/...e-alternatives

The blog listed 43 alternatives to project management software and the comparison table will show you what the features of a certain software offer. The table will help you see which software is best for you depending on the feature you want. You may download trial versions of those software you are interested so you get to know the software much better.

Comment

Working...
                X