• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excel 2003 - saving/exporting comma delimited text to pipe delimited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel 2003 - saving/exporting comma delimited text to pipe delimited

I've googled this & the only solution I can find is to change my regional settings to the pipe symbol, export & then change back to comma again. I need some users to be able to produce these files on a regular basis so this rather flakey solution isn't acceptable.

Anyone know of any other ways of doing this? I'm not that au fait with Excel but I should have thought that this functionality was pretty basic.

That's the only way that Excel will do it, it seems.

You could do an export with commas and then run it through a script or macro - have a look here for an example.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      I've googled this & the only solution I can find is to change my regional settings to the pipe symbol, export & then change back to comma again. I need some users to be able to produce these files on a regular basis so this rather flakey solution isn't acceptable.

Anyone know of any other ways of doing this? I'm not that au fait with Excel but I should have thought that this functionality was pretty basic.
      You could always stick a little bit of VBA behind the scenes.

You can do whatever you want then.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

On locked down work PC I can't get into the settings to change this. Not great when someone has set it to semicolon and a load of the Server 2008 goodies want comma separators...

I asked this question before but didn't get an answer:

In Office 1997, there was an extras pack on the CD which added goodies for Excel import and export. You had to discover this and install it manually after the rest of Office.

Does a similar thing exist on more modern Office distributions?
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          That's the only way that Excel will do it, it seems.

You could do an export with commas and then run it through a script or macro - have a look here for an example.
          Cheers. I went with this solution.

Just had to modify ActiveSheet.Paste to ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Paste as the active sheet was still the source worksheet despite the active workbook being the new created workbook. Also added some code to delete the added column from the source worksheet & wired it u-p to the workbook's before save event:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
          Dim originalWorkbook As Excel.Workbook
          Set originalWorkbook = ActiveWorkbook
          FName = ActiveWorkbook.Name
          If Right(FName, 4) = ".xls" Then
          FName = Mid(FName, 1, Len(FName) - 4)
          End If

Columns(1).Insert Shift:=xlToRight

For i = 1 To Range("B5000").End(xlUp).Row
          TempString = ""
          For j = 2 To Range("HA1").End(xlToLeft).Column
          If j <> Range("HA1").End(xlToLeft).Column Then
          TempString = TempString & _
          Cells(i, j).Value & ";"
          Else
          TempString = TempString & _
          Cells(i, j).Value
          End If
          Next
          Cells(i, 1).Value = TempString
          Next

Columns(1).Select
          Selection.Copy
          Workbooks.Add
          Range("A1").Select
          ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Paste
          Application.CutCopyMode = False
          originalWorkbook.Worksheets("score").Columns(1).De lete
          ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=FName & ".txt", _
          FileFormat:=xlPrinter

End Sub

Comment

If you have access to a Unix box or Cygwin installed try;

sed 's/|/,/g' oldfile.xls >newfile.xls

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Would that replace the commas in the data as well as the delimiters? That's the reason I'm having to use something other than csv unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Is that smart enough to spot that you shouldn't replace the comma in "Smith, Jones & Co."?

I considered something like that as a suggestion, but the macro seems to do it fine.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                  Would that replace the commas in the data as well as the delimiters? That's the reason I'm having to use something other than csv unfortunately.
                  Would replace the pipe with a comma (I think I misunderstood which way we were going) but yes - it would replace all of them, assuming the spreadsheet is saved off in a text format.

Comment

Working...
                  X