• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ultimate Developer Laptop Apps (Wintel)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    right, gotcha.

PuTTY gets mentioned a lot and I may have to work with unix boxes in the future so it's worth a look
    Putty is a pile of poop compared to ZOC, it's not free but the only issue with not paying for it is it says 'evaluation version' on the title bar, never times out or nags.

ZOC - SSH Client (Secure Shell), SSH2 Client, Telnet Client for Windows and Mac OS X

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Nice, what spec?
      Optimus: 17.3" HD+ LED Backlit Widescreen (1600x900) Super Clear Matte
      Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Dual Core Mobile Processor i7-640M (2.80GHz) 4MB Cache
      Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 2GB)
      Graphics Card nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
      Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

If you're serious about the Microsoft BI stack then you really need:
      Windows 7
      Office 2010
      SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition

The way you're going you seem to want to become obsolete.

VMWare is very handy for quickly creating dev environments
      Yeah I intend to get a 64-bit desktop machine to use as a server with server 2008 on it, for windows 7/office 2010 ill have them on VM (just trying away to get cheap developer versions) as XP is the most stable environment for what I need to do, this will change eventually and may have to go completely over to win 7 (as I don't think Ill be able to make a dual boot machine as my hard drive is sata) - but its not primarily microsoft BI tools I need more the platform and most client machines I've come across so far are still XP (plus I much prefer it )

You are right about SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition though, think its only $50 so well worth it, would like to get the SSIS/SSAS stuff for SQL/Visual studio too but again its about getting the dev versions for cheap.
      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Nice, what spec?

SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition
        oh gutted Developer Edition is no longer available in the MS online store, this could be a mission!
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

Comment

oh gutted Developer Edition is no longer available in the MS online store, this could be a mission!
          Doesn't Technet have it?
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            Doesn't Technet have it?
            potentially somewhere, not having much luck with the search on there - you can find it in the states but they wont let you download to the UK

Comment

You are right about SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition though, think its only $50 so well worth it, would like to get the SSIS/SSAS stuff for SQL/Visual studio too but again its about getting the dev versions for cheap.
              Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition - Complete package - 1 user - DVD - Win - English - 32/64-bit: Amazon.co.uk: Software

It's £50 on amazon and includes all the SSRS/AS/IS development tools, infact seeing as how the developer edition is actually a re-badged enterprise edition it includes everything!!
              (Which can be bad when you forget the client is using standard and you developed a solution which needs enterprise features)
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition - Complete package - 1 user - DVD - Win - English - 32/64-bit: Amazon.co.uk: Software

It's £50 on amazon and includes all the SSRS/AS/IS development tools, infact seeing as how the developer edition is actually a re-badged enterprise edition it includes everything!!
                (Which can be bad when you forget the client is using standard and you developed a solution which needs enterprise features)
                hehe, how bizarre I had just googled that and was gonna post 'trust amazon!'

this is a consideration, I do think though that my kind of dev probably isn't enterprisey (hate that word!) enough to be utilising the enterprise parts - but definitely worth baring in mind!

cheers

Comment

I use Pietty:

PieTTY (pputty): piaip's reimplementation of PuTTY

Just like putty but allows you to make the windows transparent which I find very useful so that I can see what's going on in the background as I fiddle about in a terminal. Downloading Zog to give it a go now

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                    I use Pietty:

PieTTY (pputty): piaip's reimplementation of PuTTY

Just like putty but allows you to make the windows transparent which I find very useful so that I can see what's going on in the background as I fiddle about in a terminal. Downloading Zog to give it a go now
                    ZOC does everything, sometimes a little hidden in the menu's but it's there. Stores password if you want, does keepalives, even let;s you type one command in many windows, ideal for cluster-type deployments.

Does transparency, doesn't do proper full-screen, only thing I've found, not an issue for me but the puttyheads at work disrespect ZOC cos of it...

Comment

One tool I just love is SQL Effects Clarity (may now be called SQL Accord) which is totally free in the CE edition:

SQL Effects Software

Allows for easy and quick database comparison (structure, functions, stored procs, views etc) which I find invaluable when working with databases from different release versions or test environments, or for checking database update scripts are working as expected.
                      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                      Feist - I Feel It All
                      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                      X