• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adobe To MS Word Conversion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe To MS Word Conversion

Can anyone please recommend a product for converting adobe format docs to MS Word/Excel etc so that all formatting is kept ?

TIA.

Is this any good?

(I'm on a locked down Windows system here so can't try it out until I get home.)
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

AIUI one of the problems is that an Adobe Acrobat document, as normally received (i.e. a PDF) is not the original editable document regardless of what program you have, it is a viewable document produced by Adobe Acrobat Writer from the original source document. In general (as reader rather than author of the document) you will not have the original. So you can't preserve the original formatting, because you don't have it. It's a bit like trying to maintain a program without having the source code.

Programs or websites that generate e.g. a Word document from a PDF are variable in their effectiveness. Some of them merely produce a Word document containing embedded images of the PDF pages! OK, it's a Word document, but you can't actually do anything to it.

Of course, this model keeps the source document hidden from you because it is intended to. If the author or copyright holder is OK with your having the source document, you could ask for it.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

we have to do this kind of stuff all the time and this is the best that i've found.

not cheap though. might be worthwhile downloading the trial if you think it's worth paying for ...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Can anyone please recommend a product for converting adobe format docs to MS Word/Excel etc so that all formatting is kept ?

TIA.
          As other respondents have said, I don't think you will be able to keep the exact formatting.

But the free pdftotext(1) - Linux man page will get the text out for you to edit - and the price is right!

The other thing that might get some of the formatting is to export the PDF document pages as images and OCR. Many OCR programs do a fair job of preserving formatting like columns fonts etc.

Comment

Working...
          X