• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cisco TACACS with Active Directory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cisco TACACS with Active Directory

Hi all,

I have absolutely no ideas about Cisco or TACACS for that matter, so I hope you don't mind if I tap into anyone's knowledge on this. If anyone can tell me if TACACS will support AD authentication, it would be appreciated. I am trawling through the Cisco KB, but isn't returning anything useful.

Ta very muchy.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Hi all,

I have absolutely no ideas about Cisco or TACACS for that matter, so I hope you don't mind if I tap into anyone's knowledge on this. If anyone can tell me if TACACS will support AD authentication, it would be appreciated. I am trawling through the Cisco KB, but isn't returning anything useful.

Ta very muchy.
    AD is an MS version of LDAP with knobs on, so if your Cisco or TACACS thingy does LDAP, it should do AD...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      AD is an MS version of LDAP with knobs on, so if your Cisco or TACACS thingy does LDAP, it should do AD...
      Sadly, I have no idea what our CISCO kit is capable of. I have been asked to perform a random piece of work for something I don't have access to or unable to find the right documentation for. I guess I will need to continue hunting down the information then.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

The question is probably better phrased as will AD support TACACS, which is a specific authentication protocol. It seems you need to use something called Cisco Secure ACS to do it.

You can also use another authentication protocol called RADIUS, which AD supports out of the box. So you configure the domain controller as a RADIUS server (using MS Internet Authentication Server) and then configure the cisco kit to authenticate against it the same as it would use any other RADIUS server. That might be a simpler solution.

How to authenticate against Active Directory from Cisco IOS : Brian Desmond's Blog
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
        X