• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Java SE Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java SE Update

Got a pop-up last week notifying me that a new version of Java SE was available and to download and install it which I did.

Today, I get the same pop-up again.

A little bit strange but not un-usual.

I tend to click the link for 'further information' to find out what I'm installing but updates so soon together do make me wonder how reliable/vulnerable software auto-update features are to virus writers and the like.

Is there any chance this feature could be hijacked and divert you to a rogue website for an update?
    Last edited by Clippy; 19 February 2011, 11:29. Reason: Clarification

I downloaded tomcat 7 this morning ( yea, I'm exciting ) and noticed it was wanting to install 1.7 JRE so i thought SE 7 must have been released but I checked javasoft.com and it is still on SE6.

Looks like they are just making an arse of it.

Comment

Just checked my desktop, where I have been running the 1.7 early release anyway and went to java.com: Java + You to verify the version.

Verified Java Version
      Congratulations!
      You have the recommended Java installed (1.7.0-ea).

WTF are they doing punting out the 1.7 EA release as the stable version?

Feckin oracle.

Comment

I liked The Register's take on this. They do have a point.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I got hit running a tomcat test server with the manager app still going with default passwords, they deployed a war called fexcepkillshell which opened up a JSP trying to download an exe and run it. The anti virus caught it straight away, I frigged the JSP to see if they would come back but they never did.

I think java is pretty tight on security, unless you do stupid arse things like leaving the manager app running on tomcat you are going to be OK.

I do have reservations about how oracle are handling this release, making an arse up of it, they are pushing out 1.7 releases without version numbers. 7 should have been out early last year. Yet somehow they dragged the biggest critics of how java was being run onto the fold and now there is a vacuum of credible critics.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I liked The Register's take on this. They do have a point.
            No, OpenOffice does not require Java. Per the official OpenOffice Wiki, Java is required merely to complete OpenOffice. Most OpenOffice functions work just fine on machines that don't have Java installed.
            Interesting indeed. I was under the impression that OpenOffice did need Java.

I tried LibreOffice last week (on Windows) and that definitely did want Java. Starting the thing went into a tight loop bleating about Java not being present. There is no mention of Java in the system requirements for Windows, although Java is mentioned for OS X.

Edit: I just tried LibreOffice again after removing Java, and it worked fine. As expected the database isn't supported, but it tells you nicely rather than falling over in a heap.

From Java and OpenOffice.org:

Java is required for complete OpenOffice.org functionality. Java is mainly required to use the new embedded Java technology based HSQLDB database engine, or to make use of accessibility and assistive technologies. If you do not require database tables or accessibility integration or some wizards, then you do not need to download and install Java. Base (the database component) for example completely relies on Java technologies to run, but other programs (like Writer, Calc, and Impress) only need Java for special functionality (see below).
            Last edited by Sysman; 20 February 2011, 14:37.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'm more concerned with Java security on mobile devices as anti virus software isn't used that often by people by the look of it

And as apps are just Java on Android at least it's something that will be targeted heavily
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                I'm more concerned with Java security on mobile devices as anti virus software isn't used that often by people by the look of it

And as apps are just Java on Android at least it's something that will be targeted heavily
                A contact in the States had the police turn up last week. Some virus on his wife's Blackberry was dialling 911 every hour. There are some sickos out there.

Comment

One of the reasons why the open office port to the Mac has been such a disaster is that the code is not java. I was reading an article on it last year which hinted the code base was a pile of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    One of the reasons why the open office port to the Mac has been such a disaster is that the code is not java. I was reading an article on it last year which hinted the code base was a pile of crap.
                    I think that's down to trying to mimic the Mac GUI. NeoOffice does use Java, and did a better job than the OpenOffice equivalent (last time I looked). I still have an older version of OpenOffice which uses X11 and that runs like grease lightning in comparison.

Comment

Working...
                    X