• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VPN or Proxy server - what do I need?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN or Proxy server - what do I need?

A friend of mine has taken himself off the the USA for a few months, but wants to be able to watch BBC iplayer etc from his apartment. So I'm thinking he needs a UK proxy server.

He has a PC at his UK home, always switched on, which has internet access. So can this be set up to be a proxy server? How can it be set up securely so that only he can use it as a proxy?

He does not want to use a proxy for all his internet access, just for watching UK TV.

Does a VPN even come into this discussion?

TIA !

onspeed

I use onspeed. It is meant to speed up a your browsing experience when using a limited bandwidth. However as the server is based in the UK it can also acts as a proxy server for iPlayer, I don't know how many people have caught on but works a charm.

About £25 for the year.

ONSPEED
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

He has a PC at his UK home, always switched on, which has internet access. So can this be set up to be a proxy server? How can it be set up securely so that only he can use it as a proxy?!
      Incidentally I tried this approach also. I'm using a BT broadband connection and used firefox to create a proxy server. However the upload rate of my connection is awful. Of course BT says it XXX when actually it's xxx, a web of lies.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I use onspeed. It is meant to speed up a your browsing experience when using a limited bandwidth. However as the server is based in the UK it can also acts as a proxy server for iPlayer, I don't know how many people have caught on but works a charm.

About £25 for the year.

ONSPEED
        Looks perfect! Many thanks.

Incidentally I tried this approach also. I'm using a BT broadband connection and used firefox to create a proxy server. However the upload rate of my connection is awful. Of course BT says it XXX when actually it's xxx, a web of lies.
        Ah... I never thought of that. Excellent advice again.

Comment

About £25 for the year.

ONSPEED

Nope - it just says 'not available in your area'...

Do I have to change settings???

Any advice would be great...

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
            Nope - it just says 'not available in your area'...

Do I have to change settings???

Any advice would be great...

Tone

Which browser / platform are you using?

Safari recognised onspeed proxy straight away for me. Firefox did not. Under systems preferences > Network > Airport (or whichever is your active port) > Advanced > Proxies > Web proxy

If onspeed is on it should already by activated (tick in box). Take a note of the IP address and port number and insert in firefox and happy days.

If you're using IE then I imagine you could set the proxy under the properties section.

Comment

Just another hint. If you have access to an alternative browser you can set the proxy IP address and local port number so that is the iplayer browser. This way your browsing traffic is not directed via the UK.

Comment

Working...
              X