• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scan to pdf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scan to pdf

I'm trying to use HP Solution Centre to scan some documents to pdf. It works like magic but the resulting files are huge -- 0.5 meg for a single page.

I've been through all the settings, scan resolution, output settings the lot and I can't get it to output to anything fairly small and manageable. I get pdf documents sent to me all the time and they are small and sweet e.g one arrived this morning single page 11.3 kb crystal clear and perfect for filing away.

Before I research this myself - can anyone recommend a (preferably free) app that can scan to pdf nice and small?
    Last edited by Jubber; 24 November 2010, 13:16.

That's because it'll store it as an image, rather than text.

You could try one of the free print to PDF things (like Cute PDF) to see if it can do a better job.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      That's because it'll store it as an image, rather than text.

You could try one of the free print to PDF things (like Cute PDF) to see if it can do a better job.
      WHS, the document is created\saved the same as any other image, you can try other apps but they all create scans as an image file regardless.

Comment

Btw. I now have an app on my Iphone: JotNotPro
        You take a picture of the doc, it converts it to a proper PDF (OCR and all) and you can store it on your phone, email straight away.

Saves you the convenience of walking to the printer (especially if the printer is in another country)

Comment

Can you copy and paste the image from each page in the PDF to some other program?
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Try setting the compression to MMR - that's the best apparently. But other than that - the files will be large. I recently scanned 140pages with my Konica Minolta Bizhub 250 and it was 8Meg.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Scan at a lower resolution setting. If you convert an image of the document to PDF and the image was scanned at 300DPI then it will be big. Reduce the image scanning to 72DPI and try it again...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                Scan at a lower resolution setting. If you convert an image of the document to PDF and the image was scanned at 300DPI then it will be big. Reduce the image scanning to 72DPI and try it again...
                WHS.

The HP Scanning Software (Called HP SCAN on LINUX) is completely metric. By default it recommends a setting of 118 pixels per cm. This doesn't immediately sound bad until you realise it is 300 dpi which is far to high for most scans (c. 1.5MB per page).

As administrator said above - If you drop this size to 28 pixels per cm (72 dpi) your files will be a fraction of the size.

Comment

Working...
                X