• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USMT - Outlook Settings Move

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USMT - Outlook Settings Move

I need set up a process for a number of local profiles and settings on a number of XP boxes to new XP boxes easily for our helpdesk chappies. I've tried using USMT and although I can get the files moved ok, I can't seem to get it to move Outlook's settings. I don't want to use the default migapp.xml file as it will move a lot of crud that we don't want, we just need the Outlook setup. If I try to tinker with it, it doesn't want to play. I'm no programmer to be honest. Any thoughts, or alternatives? There must be some simple freeware stuff out there that does this.

You talking about account settings, rules etc? If so they are a bitch. Not talking enterprise level here but moving home office stuff here about I ended up buying a $30 third party prog to move all account settings - and even then I don't think it moved account passwords. Outlook is really good in many ways but this is one of its major failings IMO.

Comment

Which outlook files/settings are you trying to move? What version of outlook?
      Last edited by Jog On; 28 October 2010, 11:45.
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

If you're happy with a semi manual process just use the Files and Settings Transfer wizard. Choose Other for transfer method and Choose Both files and Settings so it captures any PSTs and also tick the option to choose a custom list so you can remove all but Outlook if that's what you want.

I would delete their OST to reduce the size of the subsequent migration file and make life really easy by pointing the file to a folder on the users home drive for ease of import. If they have massive archives it might be easier to disconnect these and move them manually.

I normally include everything tbh, works every time. If you don't want to use this copy relevant stuff out of Application Data in their profile.

Hope that helps

Originally posted by Crumlin View Post
        I need set up a process for a number of local profiles and settings on a number of XP boxes to new XP boxes easily for our helpdesk chappies.

There must be some simple freeware stuff out there that does this.

Comment

.nlk files are quite useful as well, they have the cache of addresses that people type into the To/CC field amongst other things. I always remember getting complaints that that cache had gone after a profile move/rebuild. can't have them actually finding people's entries in the address book or even typing out email addresses manually can we...
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

bit late but thought it might be useful if you do take another look at usmt

You can turn off the components you don't want scanning/loading by changing migrate="yes" to "no" in your config file.

Adding the following to MigApp.xml to migrate pst/pab files, other files including .n2k are are already in MigApp.xml

<locationModify script="MigXmlHelper.ExactMove('%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDA TA%\Microsoft\Outlook')">
            <objectSet>
            <script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDrivePatterns ("* [*.pst]","Fixed")</script>
            <script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDrivePatterns ("* [*.pab]","Fixed")</script>
            </objectSet>
            </locationModify>

Comment

Working...
            X