• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Server 2003 Anti Virus Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Server 2003 Anti Virus Recommendations

Recommendations?

I know that some of the 'retail box' AV products won't run on Windows server editions. That's all I know!

Follow up, OK AVG has a "File Server Edition" the price of which depends on the "number of connections".
    - What sort of "connections" ? Client PC's which map a drive on the server?
    Last edited by Platypus; 6 October 2010, 14:04.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Recommendations?

I know that some of the 'retail box' AV products won't run on Windows server editions. That's all I know!

Follow up, OK AVG has a "File Server Edition" the price of which depends on the "number of connections".
    - What sort of "connections" ? Client PC's which map a drive on the server?
    I know this sounds like a cop-out, but it depends on what the server is being used for. Is this for home use or client use? If client use, how many users will be accessing?

Have a look at Kaspersky and Sophos as a possible solution.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

For home use, ClamWin will run on the server flavours, 64 bit too.

Can't say how good it is yet, as I only downloaded it yesterday.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

AVG is easier to administer on 2003 server, than SOPHOS. In addition, SOPHOS had issues with some legacy (DOS) applications, slowing them down considerably. SOPHOS support were unable to rectify.
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

This is a very simple business setup - here are 8 PC's mapping a network drive, and they access a database using some sort of socket connection.

It seems odd to me that AVG charges per 'connection', I mean, what difference does it make how many people map a network drive?

The requirement doesn't include AV for the 8 PCs - they run AVG free and they're very happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            This is a very simple business setup - here are 8 PC's mapping a network drive, and they access a database using some sort of socket connection.

It seems odd to me that AVG charges per 'connection', I mean, what difference does it make how many people map a network drive?

The requirement doesn't include AV for the 8 PCs - they run AVG free and they're very happy with that.
            Oh dear. AVG Free is not licenced for business use. The server edition with 10 client licences is only £229/yr.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
              Oh dear. AVG Free is not licenced for business use. The server edition with 10 client licences is only £229/yr.
              That reminds me of HyperTerminal. The personal use only edition used to be free, but they found too many businesses abusing it, so everyone has to pay for it nowadays.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Think it has to be ClamWin ... for the win!

Especially if it's just for home server use

Comment

Working...
                X