• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sql server 2008 idiosyncrasy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom View Post
    The reason for using it would be to see the whole table but with the field of interest on the left. This would never be used programatically.
    Correct, but if the order of the columns is important you should really specify each by name.

As others have suggested.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

If you are a bit of an SQL noob (like me) it is often easier to use the design query in editor option

then you can select exactly the fields you want from each table in the order you want - also you can get the joins sorted by just dragging a line between the primary key on the relevant tables..

and also easy to set parameters and other things

never managed to get my head around grouping yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

never managed to get my head around grouping yet though.
        Patience young grasshopper...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          If you are a bit of an SQL noob (like me) it is often easier to use the design query in editor option

You do realise you're shooting yourself in the foot using that and its obvious to anyone else how you generated the SQL.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

oh yeah absolutley no qualms about it

I only really use it to generate a query I then thrown into report builder 2 to create an .rdl file so the user can run the query to their hearts content.

I am not a developer so only really do this sort of stuff as a side line!

Comment

Working...
            X