• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTX

I have been asked if I'm interested in a role which matches my skills very closely except I have no WTX.
    I can see that it is a data mapping tool and have coded data transformation before so I'd like to go for it but I don't want to sound like the complete WTX novice I am.

So what I'd like to know is whether:
    a) WTX acts as a one time converter such that the data is taken from the original file or database and moved to a new location, ditching the old files/dbs
    b) it becomes an ongoing active component serving the data to apps as if its in a new location
    c) both

Many thanks

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
    I have been asked if I'm interested in a role which matches my skills very closely except I have no WTX.
    I can see that it is a data mapping tool and have coded data transformation before so I'd like to go for it but I don't want to sound like the complete WTX novice I am.

So what I'd like to know is whether:
    a) WTX acts as a one time converter such that the data is taken from the original file or database and moved to a new location, ditching the old files/dbs
    b) it becomes an ongoing active component serving the data to apps as if its in a new location
    c) both

Many thanks
    OK.. well the deafening silence speaks volumes about the number of people with WTX experience!
    I've done some digging and its sort of 'b'.
    What it actually does is connect the master copy of legacy data to any application, existing or new, enabling increased integration and avoiding the creation of unnecessary new data files.
    It looks promising, but obviously the IBM documentation isn't going to talk about snags like getting it working smoothly, the need to understand the existing apps & data and what happens to performance with WTX sitting between apps and data.
    Also slightly amused by the liberal use/misuse of the 'object' word. WTX objects are just file layouts with no behaviours.
    Vendors never pass up a chance to dress up older tech. as something new and trendy do they?

Comment

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
      Vendors never pass up a chance to dress up older tech. as something new and trendy do they?
      The problem there is customers with wish lists they have dreamed up. If a product ticks all the boxes it's more likely to considered.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
      X