• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PIC Contoller?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PIC Contoller?

I've got a requirement that I think a PIC controller may be able to do - but not being able to program them I need to check before spending the time learning how to do it.

Essentially it needs to take serial input from 2 sources and output this to another serial interface only when this interface is connected.

I'm thinking this may be out of the league of PIC as it'll need to access external RAM and format the text for output, in that case anyone got any other suggestions. Ideally needs to be cheap without moving into miniature PC market. Also if it could run c code that would be great.

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I've got a requirement that I think a PIC controller may be able to do - but not being able to program them I need to check before spending the time learning how to do it.

Essentially it needs to take serial input from 2 sources and output this to another serial interface only when this interface is connected.

I'm thinking this may be out of the league of PIC as it'll need to access external RAM and format the text for output, in that case anyone got any other suggestions. Ideally needs to be cheap without moving into miniature PC market. Also if it could run c code that would be great.
    What about a Z80 or Atmel AVR?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The third serial port is going to be a problem.
      Do you need a usart for this or could you bitbang the data from a pio?

Maybe some pointers here..
      PIC RS232 IO
      PICMicro Serial Routines

Maybe
      http://www.rigelcorp.com/r515jc.htm
      8051 based so you should be able to find a c compiler

Or then again,

http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/prod...roducts_id=652
      If you prefer the embedded Linux approach.

Edited to show more ports than I'd thought...
      http://foxg20.acmesystems.it/doku.ph...al:serial_port

I've bought stuff from Pang's before, never had a problem with them.
      Last edited by RSoles; 24 August 2010, 15:32.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've found a way to reduce it to only 2 serials so that should be easier at least to get around.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Thanks guys, I've found a way to reduce it to only 2 serials so that should be easier at least to get around.
          Are you doing it just for the money?

Comment

Working...
          X