• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NAS v PIII Server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAS v PIII Server

I am currently running a 10 year old Dell Optiplex GX110 Pentium III 800MHz with an added LSI MegaRaid SATA card set to RAID 1 (with duplication using 2 different disc manufacturers) running FreeNAS.

My discs are almost full and I was looking at upgrading them, and wondered if now was also the time to move to a NAS device - although the PC has been reliable it is 10 years old now.

I've been looking at NAS devices as a replacement using less space and and less power, but don't want a degrade of performance and reliability, and don't want to spend huge amounts.

QNAP seems to be favourites at the moment. Are they that good ?

What about the iomega ix4-200d ?

What is performance like on the Marvell based units (TS-410 and TS-419P), or should I really only look at the Atom based (TS-439 Pro II, and TS-459) units ? £530 to £560 +VAT does seem a lot of money for what is basically a 1GB Atom PC.
    Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 26 June 2010, 20:10.

Working...
X