• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switch off the Windows Paging file?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch off the Windows Paging file?

I've spent AGES Googling on this subject, so I wondered what people here think on the 'should I switch off windows paging file to improve performance' question.

Much of the 'wisdom' on the net seems to be quite old (you need a page file because you only have 256Mb of memory) or quite new (windows7 does paging well so leave it alone).

I accept that Windows7 (and Vista?) probably does paging much much better than XP, so I'll happily disregard any 'modern' advice that switching off paging makes no difference to system performance.

I'm thinking that for a common-or-garden Windows XP machine, used for Word, Outlook, Firefox (the usual sort of stuff) that 2GB of RAM will be enough to allow the page file to be switched off, thereby improving performance.

Rather than regurgitate all the old mis-information that's out there on t'internet, what does the panel think? What are your experiences of this?

Ta

I don't profess to know much about the ins and outs of this (the last time I had anything to do with it I was at uni), but I thought the paging file wasn't used unless the memory was fully utilised.

Regardless, I always let Windows deal with it itself.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      I don't profess to know much about the ins and outs of this (the last time I had anything to do with it I was at uni), but I thought the paging file wasn't used unless the memory was fully utilised.

Regardless, I always let Windows deal with it itself.
      Well there's the rub: it seems (so I read) that Windows (XP) aggressively moves pages to the page file to free up RAM memory for 'more useful' things. For example, on your quiescent PC, run Task Manager and on the Performance tab, see how much 'PF Usage' there is. I think you'll be surprised (I was).

EDIT: ah... it seems that "PF Usage" in task Manager isn't what it says it is:

is not PF usage, but rather commit charge.
      If you want a view of actual usage, try the WinXP-2K_Pagefile.zip script here
      Last edited by Platypus; 18 June 2010, 09:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Well there's the rub: it seems (so I read) that Windows (XP) aggressively moves pages to the page file to free up RAM memory for 'more useful' things. For example, on your quiescent PC, run Task Manager and on the Performance tab, see how much 'PF Usage' there is. I think you'll be surprised (I was).
        You learn something new every day.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I have an XP machine with 2Gb of RAM and I'm off today, I'll try it this morning and let you know what happens.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            I have an XP machine with 2Gb of RAM and I'm off today, I'll try it this morning and let you know what happens.
            Thanks! I've switched off my paging file too (this morning). I also have 2GB RAM.

I'm asking the question before I unleash this 'fix' on a customer PC

Comment

I'm guessing here but I would leave it as it is and let Windows decide if it wants to write to the pagefile or not.

If it wants to and you have it turned off, it's gonna be shuffling stuff around in RAM so may well cause you a similar bottleneck to if you had the pagefile turned on and it was shuffling stuff between RAM and the pagefile.

Six of one and all that.

(To improve performance, you could defrag your pagefile using PageDefrag).

Comment

You can actually find a very detailed explanation on how a fairly dated nt kernel still found in win7 relies on existence of swap.
                Even on systems with 24GB RAM I recommend keeping it on for system stability.

Basically if the swap subsystem works correctly you shouldn't see much swap usage, but if a bad program leaks memory and fills all available physical RAM there are two scenarios:
                a) with swap disabled there will be no memory left and you will see a BSOD and need to reboot a machine
                b) with swap it will continue to swap out to disk, but at least you can log in and kill/restart the offending process.

I probably wouldn't run anything critical on Windows boxes, but if a client has such a requirement, then I'd much rather get a call that the website is slow (because of swapping) in the morning, rather than the website has been offline since 4am...

Other advantages to a good swap system (which XP isn't) is on average swapping an unused block of ram in exchange for a disk cache/prefetch usually result in a much smoother performance overall (app startup and responsivness).

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Thanks! I've switched off my paging file too (this morning). I also have 2GB RAM.

I'm asking the question before I unleash this 'fix' on a customer PC
                  Mine is showing as switched off and I've rebooted, task manager still shows 50Mb as paged?? Must be what xchaotic mentioned.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Switching it off disables crash memory dumps.

As to whether it makes any difference to performance, try measuring it before and after. The only difference I have found is that without it things just stop working instead of descending into thrashing.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X