• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless addresses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless addresses

Have got a laptop with wireless problem. Rarely picks up an IP address on wireless when using DHCP. This occurs on any wireless network, have tried a few. Switch it to static though and the connection is rock solid. It has a strong signal, I'm sat next to the router trying it now, but sticks on acquiring a network address. As I said, sometimes it will get one, then vanish just as quickly. Thought DHCP might be poorly on the laptop, but then surely that would effect it on the LAN too, which is working perfectly.

Haven't got the luxury of wiping it, and have tried grabbing the latest drivers for the wireless NIC, still nowt.

Answers on a postcard please

The winsock entries can sometime get corrupted and cuase this problem.

Try this document about reseting your TCP/IP settings....

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Comment

Originally posted by Crumlin View Post
      Have got a laptop with wireless problem. Rarely picks up an IP address on wireless when using DHCP. This occurs on any wireless network, have tried a few. Switch it to static though and the connection is rock solid. It has a strong signal, I'm sat next to the router trying it now, but sticks on acquiring a network address. As I said, sometimes it will get one, then vanish just as quickly. Thought DHCP might be poorly on the laptop, but then surely that would effect it on the LAN too, which is working perfectly.

Haven't got the luxury of wiping it, and have tried grabbing the latest drivers for the wireless NIC, still nowt.

Firmware upgrade on router? Reboot the router?
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Crumlin View Post

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        Firmware upgrade on router? Reboot the router?
        Still Invoicing

Comment

It's all wireless routers, don't think I can do them all

Cheers BM, I'll give that a go.

Comment

Ello,

Have you tried the usual - update the drivers for your wireless card, check all the settings for it in the OS and the BIOS.

Also try re-configuring it to use a different wireless channel - might be something in the environment (PCs, TV, Microwave(!) etc) that is malleting that specific frequency...

Worth a shot.
            Dan

Comment

Just a thought...

is the wireless router set to be the DHCP server? If that's set to off/no/disabled then that might be part of the problem.

Comment

Have you got an RJ45 netowrk socket on the wireless router? If so just plug in to ensure DHCP is working as expected on a wired connection. It could be fooked

Comment

DHCP on the router is not properly set.

After you get an IP, do

ipconfig /all

if your OS is Windows. Then check for how log is the IP address leased.

Comment

I don't know what all this dchp ip talk is about but it all sounds very impressive...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X